Advice on video capture for a novice please

User-7A745D18-AA77-4264-9D17E76CC8A1664E 21:43 21 Nov 2003

Having just purchased a Mini DV Camcorder, I would like to use my PC for editing videos.

Although I can connect the camcorder to my PC using a USB cable, I understand that I need a firewire card to transfer video.

As the camcorder has digital output and input,
I understand that I will be able to transfer any changes made on my PC back to the camcorder. I know the Windows Movie Maker 2 can do this but would I be correct in thinking that capture cards usually come with better software that can perform this function.

I should be grateful to receive advice on a good intermediate capture card.

Many thanks.

Rickyv 21:53 21 Nov 2003

I bought a mini DV camcorder a few weeks ago (JVC with dv in/out). I bought a firewire card (£10 from Dabs) and then installed Ulead Videostudio 7. I have had lots of fun with this set uo. The quality is excellent and i have burn the results onto DVD. Digital Camcorder (or is it Video) Made Easy is excellent - last month they had trial version of Ulead Videostudio and Pinnacle 8, which I used before buying the Ulead one.

Thanks, Rickyv. I have a JVC model too, the DR-G200.

Any other suggestions welcome.

Jabba10 23:15 21 Nov 2003

I bought Pinnacle Studio 8 a few months ago and I find it really simple to use. Also, it is much more powerful than I thought it would be and includes all the software to make 'proper' DVDs with menus etc. I would recommend it to anyone.

The only problem with Moviemaker is that it doesn't offer any options to write to DVD, or any DVD authoring.

I understand that Pinnacle have a software product that allows the transfer of video via USB. Is using firewire a better option though.

MichelleC 09:22 22 Nov 2003

The term 'capture card' usually applies to analogue transfer. A firewire card is for dv data - usb can't cope. S8 is ok and can come with a firewire card. You can always buy a firewire card (I got 3 port for 19.99 from PCW) and use a free prog like zweistein Video Editor to practise with click here . My prefered prog is Screenblast movie studio click here. The forum is helpful, informative and miles better than Pinnacle's.

Thanks, MichelleC. I told you I was a novice :-)

Will take a trip to my local PC World to see what they have.

Just one more thing before I take the plunge.

Are there any compatibility issues that I need to watch out for where the camcorder and firewire card are concerned?

MichelleC 15:36 23 Nov 2003

No, but only thing to watch out for is if you're xp you may have driver probs with dv cam (recognising it) via firewire, so look on site for any updated drivers.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone