Advice on TFT monitors please

SB23 13:20 13 Mar 2006

Due to space limitations, I'm considering buying a new flat screen monitor.I was wondering if any of you out there have any suggestions, and what do I need to know about the connections?
I've currently got a 3 year old Packard Bell monitor with a blue plug in connector with little screws either side, and a budget of about £120 - £150.

Advice please

SB23

surfsteruk 13:30 13 Mar 2006

The Blue connector will most likely be a VGA analogue plug.

You can get a really Nice quality 17inch TFT for your budget or a cheap 19inch.

The acer looks like a pretty nice monitor click here .

More here for you click here .

Totally-braindead 13:58 13 Mar 2006

Some others from £111 inc VAT click here and for another £20 they'll guarantee no dead pixels if that concerns you. I have the 17" Digimate L-1715 and its good, very pleased with it for the money.

SB23 14:18 13 Mar 2006

It was the Digimate range that we were looking at. Is the dead pixel thing a major problem with these types of monitors?

Totally-braindead 14:26 13 Mar 2006

To be honest I don't know, I looked at the reviews on the Aria website before I bought it and all of them appeared to be happy with it. I took the chance and bought one. Very happy with it, no dead pixels on mine, I've had it just over a year. Have been considering getting another one the 19" one but can't really justify it. The Acer ones are meant to be worth a look as well but I think they're about £20-30 over your budget.

Can only say I'm happy with mine. Incidently I didn't pay for the dead pixel check at the time, mainly because they didn't do it.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Fingees 14:26 13 Mar 2006

Dead pixels usually are black, but unfortunately some on cheaper monitors can be white. It's alright if they stay black, but if white in the wrong place, it can be distracting.

Totally-braindead 14:32 13 Mar 2006

Should have said about the built in speakers on my monitor SB23 they are total rubbish and are not worth using, wasn't a problem in my case anyway as I already had speakers but the ones built into the monitor are very tinny.

GaT7 14:40 13 Mar 2006

Aria monitor deals at the moment click here. The 19" Digimate with DVI looks very good for the money click here. G

rmcqua 14:46 13 Mar 2006

This is a very nice monitor, within your budget.
click here

SB23 18:48 13 Mar 2006

That's a shame about the speakers. That was a plus point, but if you say that they're not so good, I suppose I can still use my current setup.(The speakers just won't attach to the monitor)

As Crossbow7 says about Aria deals, I can have a look at them aswell.
If I was to increase my budget, do I get any major benefits fot these types of monitor?

GaT7 19:02 13 Mar 2006

TFT monitor speakers are not really a plus point, as they're mostly rubbish - unless you've no speakers at all, or cannot afford additional ones!

DVI may be a plus point - better image quality - but I think most users cannot see the difference anyway. IMHO 19" is much better than 17" (even if the 17" is better quality).

Try to visit a PCWorld or similar to see the above DVI/analogue & size/resolution differences firsthand. G

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?