Advice required on software for web design

Geordie Al 14:38 27 Jan 2006

Hi,

Can anyone advise which is the best software for web design in the £50 region or less. I know that dreamweaver and frontpage are popular but I would like to start with something cheaper. Is there something for this sort of price that will provide good functionality and be a good route to one of the big boys in the future.

Regards,

Al

p.s. I am also looking for some s/w for recording LP to CD if anyone has any ideas (similar price)

PurplePenny 15:21 27 Jan 2006

... is free (Open Source). It claims to be a rival for Dreamweaver and FrontPage but I don't know whether that is true.
click here

Serif WebPlus6 (a very old version of their software) is free; once you have it Serif will offer you discounts on more recent versions.
click here
The latest version: WebPlus9 is $79.99 so that would come inside your budget.
click here

Also watch out for magazine cover disks, they often have older versions of software for free or trial versions of current software.

::. Relpyer .:: 17:25 27 Jan 2006

You can get the new Dreamweaver Studio 8 Trial Version off click here. You can try that and see if you like. if you do you can buy it, or if you only want to use it for a short period of time use the trial.

::. Relpyer .:: 17:25 27 Jan 2006

You can get the new Dreamweaver Studio 8 Trial Version off click here. You can try that and see if you like. if you do you can buy it, or if you only want to use it for a short period of time use the trial.

PurplePenny 18:48 27 Jan 2006

But it's a tad more than £50...

ade.h 19:20 27 Jan 2006

PP has covered it, really. You probably won't find anything else in that price range that is actually worth bothering with. There are a few, but they tend to be very basic.

Neither should you really bother with Dreamweaver unless you have deep pockets, because Frontpage is half the price and just as good. NOF is less than that and damn near as good. It'll take a lot more than 30 days to learn DW.

Basically, if you can't do it in FP or NOF, then you won't be able to blame your tools.

Geordie Al 18:03 01 Feb 2006

Hi All,

I got w magazine the other day with a frr copy of Net Objects fusion 7 on the cover. I have started playing with it and it seems to be OK. I guess i will find out more as I get on with it, but it has done the basics so far.

Thanks

Al

ade.h 18:22 01 Feb 2006

It'll take you a long while and a lot of effort to exhaust NOF's abilities. Good choice.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

HP’s new Surface Pro rival is designed specifically for Adobe-using designers and artists

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?