Advice Required

paulgoth 13:43 14 Jul 2006

I have 2 PC's which I want to network and I want them both to be able to use my Tiscali Broadband connection via an ADSL modem.

One machine is Windows XP. The other only Windows 98.
The Windows XP one is downstairs and can be wired.
The Windows 98 one is upstairs and therefore needs to be wireless.

What sort of kit will I need ?

Any advice much appreciated.

TomG 19:48 14 Jul 2006

The simplest solution would be to go to any of the manufactures sites as they all sell a solution to your problem

ade.h 20:37 14 Jul 2006

"I want them both to be able to use my Tiscali Broadband connection via an ADSL modem."

I can see what you mean by that statement, but there will not be any standalone modem involved; you will use an ADSL modem/router.

Win 98; that's a shame, because it ties you to 3rd-party software from the adapter manufacturer, and they can vary from average to terrible. If pj123 reads this thread, he will be able to give you a first-hand opinion on that; like me, he uses a Belkin router, but I can't remember what adapter he uses. At least desktops allow the use of a proper PCI adapter with exernal aerial, which helps considerably.

Speaking of routers, I always choose either Linksys, 3Com or Belkin if we're talking two-figure price tags.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?