Advice on RAM

antony.dandrea 16:40 20 Jul 2008

Hi everyone.
I'm looking to buy some RAM for my computer.
I'd like some DDR RAM probs no more than 256mb seeing as i already have 256MB.
I have a couple of questions.
1) Is RAM supposed to be as cheep as £10? Why does RAM of the same type cost like £40 elsewhere?

2) If i put in more than 256MB, would i have to worry about overheating the computer. Cos i would prefer to put more.

Thanks
The Doctor.

MAT ALAN 16:51 20 Jul 2008

click here

run the memory advisor tool from the link,it will tell you exactly what you have and exactly what you can upgrade to..

mrwoowoo 17:30 20 Jul 2008

Adding more ram will not increase the temperatures at all.You can add whatever your mainboard manual or the link supplied by MAT ALAN says you can.

woodchip 17:37 20 Jul 2008

Cheap Ram can be just that, you get what you pay for and take a chance. I use it but Paying more means less likely it to be faulty, and may last longer. but there is no guarantees with Electronics

wee eddie 18:54 20 Jul 2008

If anything, more RAM should reduce the internal temperature as the Hard Drive would not need to be used as a Virtual Drive quite as often.

Depending on the OS you are using, the addition of another 256MB will either be sufficient or pointless.

If you are going to Team the new RAM with the Old RAM, then the New will work at the same speed as the Old, regardless of it's superior speed.

Crucial is best and comes with a No Quibble guarantee if you follow their recommendation.

antony.dandrea 10:13 21 Jul 2008

Thanks for that Mat. It looks like a really good site. The problem is, that my computer isnt on there.
I have an eMachines 420.

But thanks any way.

Quiller. 10:23 21 Jul 2008

Your machine should be able to take upto 2 sticks of 1Gb of PC3200. It must be non-ecc and low density.

£9 for 256mb
£15 for 512mb
£25 for 1gb

click here

as wee eddie

It should not generate any more heat.

antony.dandrea 14:09 21 Jul 2008

Thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

This is what design agencies will look like in 2032

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

WhatsApp : comment lire vos messages sans que l’expéditeur le sache