Advice on Print Server Please

mcdhu 09:34 17 Nov 2009

I have a small wireless network here at home with all the usual devices - laptops (2), another PC upstairs, i-Touches (2)all using Win Xp Home SP3.
Xp Home will only support up to 5 attached devices and I am over that. I therefore need a print server. This is where I need advice.

The network is a main Dell PC with a Canon Pixma MP520 attached via USB and all the attached devices - laptops i-touches etc are connected via a Netgear DG834Gv3 wireless modem router and the laptops share the printer. All running Xp Home SP3.

I am not too adept at all this so I am looking for something which will not be too taxing to set up. The research on the www so far leads me to the following observations.

The Canon only has USB ie no serial port.

It is a multi function device and so requires 2 way and is not wireless capable.

Netgear have something called a PS121 which seems to fit the bill.

Any comments/ suggestions/ thought gratefully received.

Thank you and cheers!
mcdhu

mgmcc 11:30 17 Nov 2009

USB Print Servers let you connect a "Printer" to the Local Area Network. I have a Linksys one with an inkjet printer attached. What they may not support is the additional features of an "All-In-One device", i.e. Scanning, Copying etc.

The software for my Print Server creates a Virtual Printer Port, which is fine for a "printer" but a "scanner" cannot be used with this port.

I'm not saying that what you require isn't available, but be very careful to check that what you do find will provide the full functionality of an all-in-one.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017