Advice on Possible Virus Attack

Bagsey 10:24 31 Jan 2004

This morning I had an email returned as undeliverable. It was supposedly sent from my computer but it was NOT. The reason it was not delivered was due to an incorrect spelling i.e. a Typo. The person to whome it was sent was my brother who spells his name NEIL and email was addressed to NIEL. My AVG is bang upto date (365)and found nothing. I have also run Housecall which said my computer is clear. Can anyone give me a clue as to what is happening here. Obviously I fear the worst but have no evidence of a virus being present. Is this an attack by someone hacking into my machine? If so how do I stop it happening again.
I run XP home, IE6 and outlook express. I am on BB.
Any help and advice gratefully received.

GANDALF <|:-)> 10:30 31 Jan 2004

There is more chance of hitting the lotto twice than being hacked on a home computer. Assuming that this does not re-occur and as your AV is up-to-date I would not lose any sleep over it. You may wish to d/l Stinger, from click here. If AVG, stinger and housecall have found nothing then you are OK.

G

Bagsey 10:36 31 Jan 2004

Thanks for you reply. I ran stinger some weeks ago for the Msblaster bug do I need to run it again, or am I likely to be still protected.??
Have you any idea what could have generated this incorrect email. I know that I didnt and it is correctly spelt in my address book? Wierd.

leo49 10:39 31 Jan 2004

See the many repetitive threads on the latest Mydoom virus - just relax and forget it.

GANDALF <|:-)> 10:40 31 Jan 2004

It is probably a corruption from an infected email. As your AV is up-to-date there is no need to worry. It will do no harm to run Stinger but I guess it will find de nada.

G

Bagsey 11:15 31 Jan 2004

Thanks again, I have run Stinger as well and it has found nothing.
So I will sit here with my fingers crossed and hope that I can prove you at least partly wrong and win the lotto at least once. Cheers.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?