Advice please for wireless internet connection

joby_51 13:29 23 Jun 2005

I have a new laptop and would like to be able to access the internet from anywhere. I have bought a wireless modem or router and can connect anywhere in the house but is I understand that I need to buy a PC card to do this outside of the house. DOes it have to be compatible with my BT Wireless router. Also, is it true that I have to then buy something similar to a mobile top up card to pay for the connection? Excuse my ignorance but I don't know how to find out this information.

Access genu 13:56 23 Jun 2005

If you can connect wirelessley in the house then there would be no need to buy an additional card.

try BT openzone for more information on what you require click here

joby_51 14:00 23 Jun 2005

I would like to be able to connect when I am not in the house.

woodchip 14:06 23 Jun 2005

You can if its a wireless WiFi Notebook But you are limited range outside.

TomJerry 14:15 23 Jun 2005

if you near a hotspot (btopenzone or starbuck and some virgin trains), you do not need any additional equipment, but you need to pay them and get connection details, no cheap and there are not many hotspot around

if you do not have a hotspot to connection, you need to use mobile phone technology and hence you need to buy special card, all mobile operator's offer mobile data service use 3G or GRPS service, you can check Vodaphone's web site under business service to find out, it cost £80+ per month

woodchip 15:27 23 Jun 2005

In the link if you go to downloads, click Netsumbler to downloads top left and install, it will tell you where any Wireless in the vicinity, of where you are with your laptop, so you can connect

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Add Depth Of Field to a photo using Tilt Shift Blur in Photoshop

iPhone tips & tricks

Comment afficher des fichiers cachés sur Mac ?