Advice please on running CCleaner!

hawthorn59 02:58 29 Sep 2008

Hi

I downloaded CCleaner as I see it recommended a lot; I feel my laptop needs a cleanup or checkup.

When I select Scan For Issues in registry, it gives hundreds of issues. There must be a few hundred Missing Shared DLLs related to Norton or Stmantec. Thing is I uninstalled Norton Security (even using their own tool) so I dont know whether to "fix" these or not.

Also hundreds of "Installer Reference issues" relating to Noron/Symantec.

Do I fix these? Or are they slowing down my laptop?

thanks

h

Taff™ 03:33 29 Sep 2008

I have always chosen to fix all issues. You will be asked if you want to back up the registry and you should do this, saving the reg file somewhere you can find it! (I`ve never had to restore one yet)

User-1229748 04:31 29 Sep 2008

i've also always chose to fix all issues and never had a problem,but i have in the past had the odd issue with what norton has left behind.

tullie 05:32 29 Sep 2008

I have allways used it with default settings

Technotiger 07:53 29 Sep 2008

I have always used it with default settings.

bobbybowls 08:27 29 Sep 2008

you will find lots of programs leave odd bits behind, it is one of the many flaws with windows. do as everybody else says and clean it all out.

Andsome 08:34 29 Sep 2008

I always do as the others say, and choose to delete the issues having chosen save first. The default place to save is My Documents. Pity you have Norton. I would NEVER let it anywhere near to my computer again.

matofthemint 11:42 29 Sep 2008

Your might also try Advanced WindowsCare, it will usually pick up some things CCleaner missed. It will do an automatic backup. click here

Newuser2 15:49 29 Sep 2008

I used CC on my lappy and it removed the web cam driver etc (that was on default settings).
had to download driver etc from Acers web site.
Am a bit wary of it on my lappy but use it regularly on the desktop

Sea Urchin 16:01 29 Sep 2008

I think you'll find that some other problem removed your web-cam driver.

Newuser2 19:09 29 Sep 2008

How come the webcam disappeared the minute I ran cc

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?