Advice please in purchasing computer

tippucat 20:31 03 Sep 2003

Hi. My son is about to begin a degree course studying 'Illustration'. This will involve a great deal of computer based work thus he requires a powerful computer but, on a budget. Would you be able to advise on a computer that would be mid-priced ie £800, but with a powerful graphic card, cd drive, fast processor and big memory. We have a leaflet from 'Studentcomp' but neither of us have heard of it. I'm of a suspicious nature, I'm afraid! Thanks for your help in this.

MAJ 20:37 03 Sep 2003

Have you looked at the "Superbudget Top Ten" listings in "PC Advisor" magazine, tippucat? You'll get no better recommendations than there are in there.

Jomi 20:45 03 Sep 2003

No need to rush out and buy PC Advisor, click on the link to 'reviews' at the top of this page and you'll see a budget pc's link there.

wee eddie 20:56 03 Sep 2003

By making a list of the things you do not need.

eg No: dvd writer, sound card, 5.1 speakers, possibly other bits.

Save more by using CRT rather than TFT.

tippucat 21:12 03 Sep 2003

Big thanks. I'll go the 'Top Ten' listing. 'Wee Eddie', I suggested that to my son but you know what kids are like!

shifty 21:12 03 Sep 2003

Have a look at click here You can specify the computer and change the specification with the price shown after any changes. I have purchased several systems for myself and family etc with excellent results.

wee eddie 21:58 03 Sep 2003

I assume he is paying for it himself.

If you get him a high spec PC, which is adequate for his studies, but without these items. He can buy them when he has funds available, bar work will get him enough to buy a 5.1 speaker system in about 3 evenings, and then install them himself.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Acer Predator 21X review

These hilarious robot GIFs will be sure to make you smile

Best podcast apps for iPhone & iPad

Nokia 8 : design, caractéristiques techniques, date de sortie