Advice Please!!! on continuous Error Message

betina 13:32 27 Oct 2006

Hi guys,
Would love a little advise regarding an error message i have started receiving each time i start my pc. I just downloaded IE7 two days ago and i always get the following message:- SmartBridge Alerts:BTHELP NOTIFIER.EXE-ENTRY POINT NOT FOUND

The procedure entry point get process Image File Name w could not be located in the dynamic library PSAPI. DLL. As i only got my pc in February i am still finding my feet and am puzzled as to the meaning of this ,and is it something i should worry about! i will indeed contact Bt for advise also, but i get alittle confused with all things technical. I had no obvious problems downloading IE7 (that i am aware of!) but would appreciate some valuable advice regarding my problem. I use NIS5,Adaware,Spybot,SpywareDoctor,CCleaner,spywareblaster,cookiewall. Please to help a poor non techie!!! get things right lol.

SANTOS7 14:32 27 Oct 2006

SmartBridge is distributing an old version of PSAPI.DLL. As a result, users may receive the following error message after installation of Internet Explore 7 Beta 2:

SmartBridge Alerts:-Alert BT Help Notifier.exe Entry Point Not Found

The procedure entry point GetProcessImageFileNameW could not be located in the dynamic link library PSAPI.DLL

To work around this error:

1. Navigate to the installation location for SmartBridge via My Computer (\Program Files\Alert BT Help Notifier.exe
2. Find PSAPI.DLL and rename it to something like PSAPIOLD.DLL
3. Reboot the system

The program will find the new PSAPI.DLL in the \Windows\System32 directory and function normally.

betina 16:12 27 Oct 2006

Many thanks to SANTOS7 for speedy response it was very much appreciated. I will follow your guidance and hopefully all will be well happy pc-ing and a great big hug
from betina x

SANTOS7 16:16 27 Oct 2006

WOW!! hope it works, can't wait for the Hug, good luck..

terryf 16:37 27 Oct 2006

Another IE7 related problem? I am glad I have installed IE7blocker

anskyber 16:40 27 Oct 2006

Its really an issue for those using BT internet and it relates to the desktop helper. Many just uninstall or disable it from the start up list because the helper is.....well.....not very helpful.

betina 17:33 27 Oct 2006

Hi Guy,s,
betina here again!!! methinks! i may have got a head of myself!! the little voices in my head keep saying i should have waited and downloaded Firefox (new version) what do you think?? I have read reviews on both and i know Firefox seems to come out on top ,however being still new at this game i suppose i,ve just played safe and am not too sure about what to do if i needed to use IE for windows updates etc., i still get somewhat phased were these things are concerned(not always one to take chances lol!) anyway hugs again
Betina

VoG II 17:35 27 Oct 2006

Firefox won't let you access Windows Update unless you install the IETab plug in click here

betina 22:32 27 Oct 2006

Many thanks VoG for the link, am off to investigate now, have a nice one!!!
betina

betina 23:25 28 Oct 2006

Hi SANTOS7,
Betina wishes to send double hugs lol, have just followed your advice(renaming PSAPI.DLL) as suggested and lo and behold all is well yippee! even though i find myself at a loss to all things technical!!! but heh!! we all have to start somewhere lol however whatever i did it seems to have worked. Keep up the good work guy's!!!!
xx
betina

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

11 best portfolio websites for designers and artists

Office for Mac buying guide: Price, Office 2017 rumours & new features

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?