Advice Please

PEG007 13:58 14 Jul 2009

Running XP pro sp3 with Avast and Spybot Search and Destroy. Should I be using Malwarebytes or something else in addition?
Any advice gratefully accepted.

Technotiger 14:04 14 Jul 2009

Yes, it would not do any harm - but only ever have one Anti-virus, and one Firewall - with the exception that it is ok to have a Software Firewall as well as a Hardware Firewall, as in most Routers.

Graphicool1 14:06 14 Jul 2009

The short answer is Yes. I personally use Spyware Terminator click here it's Free. It includes a whole suite of addons that you can choose to have or not. I choose not. If you haven't already got it CCleaner is a must click here You should use this at the end of each day.

PEG007 14:29 14 Jul 2009

Thanks guys, will give it a whirl.

woodchip 15:50 14 Jul 2009

Don't think you need any more than you have. But it depends on how sensible you surf the Net

woodchip 15:53 14 Jul 2009

I just use Avast and thats it, on my XP computers. Never had a think and been coming on this site since don't know when. Also on my 98se comp that I am typing this nothing extra other than AV never had a Virus or anything from 1995

birdface 16:04 14 Jul 2009

[I just use Avast and thats it]
My nephew said the same.He had AVG and Windows Defender.I told him he did not have enough security And Windows defender was a waste of time.
I finally convinced him to Run Malwarebytes and it came up with 35 problems and a lot of them Trojans and password stealers.
Maybe you should give it a try ,You never know you may get a surprise.

birdface 16:07 14 Jul 2009

After you download Malwarebytes.I would also add Superantispyware or A Squared.And don't forget to add Spywareblaster.

woodchip 16:31 14 Jul 2009

I have tried Spybot etc Adaware all come up will all clear. so just gave up bothirng

woodchip 16:33 14 Jul 2009

Also tried your last post, nothing found when I run them. I then remove them from comp as they serve no purpose

birdface 16:52 14 Jul 2009

All I can say is you have been very fortunate not to have caught any nasties.Or maybe just careful where you go.
Best of luck long may it continue.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017