advice on pc for tv use only

suem56 14:36 06 Dec 2008

I'm looking to buy another pc so I can use my snazzy new 50ins plasma HD TV to watch on-demand TV rather than view it on my pc monitor. Got a soundbar for the audio that I could connect the pc to. I plan to download it rather than watch it streamed so want a reasonable amount of storage - butI've no idea how much space would be 'plenty'. Also want a dvd writer so I can copy stuff from my SKY+ box onto DVD. But that's about all I want it for so don't need any peripherals (already got a wireless keyboard and mouse). Want it as slimline and unobtrusive as poss.
Any suggestions as to most sensible buy? Would I be just a well getting a second hand one off Ebay with around 40gb HD for buttons?

kalstras 15:25 06 Dec 2008

sounds like you want it all. You should really be asking for help via your local PCWorld rather than here...

ripvan 15:35 06 Dec 2008

Are you sure you can record on-demand stuff.A lot of it like BBCi player can't be recorded.A friend at work has just had SKY+ footed but the usb on it does not do anything.How do you plan on connecting it to the pc?

suem56 15:52 06 Dec 2008

Kalstras - sorry if it sounds a tad OTT - I just hate watching I-player etc on my pc.I know i can use my TV as a monitor but I don't want to keep switching the pc between the 2. I could have gone to PC world but I was half expecting someone to say 'oh you don't need to do that - what you want is blah de blah.'
ripvan - I don't intend to copy the OD stuff onto DVD - just SKY+ recordings like films I might want to keep for a while - which according to the instruction book you legitimately can do - at least onto a DVD recorder so I'm assuming you can do likewise to a PC? maybe not.

I just see on-demand TV as the future and currently although things like SKY+ are great for recording, it doesn't give you the back catalogue of stuff you've missed. I can't use BT Vision cos I won't have a freeview signal for a couple of years where I live. It's not that spend all my time watching tv either (I know it must sound like it) - in fact quite the reverse - it's just when I do I want the freedom to watch the good stuff, not just what's on now or that i've remembered to record.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone