Advice on a new printer.

ricardo espana 22:16 24 Nov 2007

My current printer: Epson Stylus Color 760.

Interested in replacing with a Canon Pixma ip4500, but can be persuaded to look at other models and manufacturers.

My requirement is to print excellent quality photos and text up to A4. I am looking at quality of the finished print instead of cost.

Maximum budget is £100.

I do not require multifuction printers as I already have a good scanner and can do fax.

Are there any problems associated with 4,5 or 6 ink cartridge printers? I ask, because I have only been used to a 2 ink cart printer.

Although printing onto CD/DVD's is a bonus, it is not a necessity.

Where I live, I have use a dust cover as I have a problem with dust, especially more from April to October, so, dust protection would be a bonus.

All opinions, suggestions and advice is most welcome.

Many thanks in advance

Richard

woodchip 23:23 24 Nov 2007

Any Epson Photo Printer, Although not the fastest. You do get good Photos. Text not as good as some, that's why I also have a cheap Mono Laser. Just for Text, it's cheaper to run than inkjet's. My Latest Epson is a Multi RX620 new model is the 640. Photos just like shop. And I use Compat Carts from 7DayShop in it.

PS it's a 6 cart printer

hssutton 23:50 24 Nov 2007

My HP Photosmart started giving me a few problems when printing photos.

Have just bought the Canon Pixma MP610, this is a multi function printer so has a scanner which you do not require, but I can tell you the photos it produces are superb. Actually the more cartridges the better. Less ink wastage, with a single ink cartridge when one colour runs out you lose the other two.

Both the IP4500 and the MP610 use 5 cartridges.

I'm not sure about dust protection, but if you load your paper into the bottom cassette, you can leave the printer "closed" then when you print the paper exit "door" will open automatically.

Woolwell 00:36 25 Nov 2007

In my opinion it is better to have separate colour cartridges rather than 1 for all colours as you can change the colour you use most without wasting the others. I do not know of any problems with more than 2 ink cartridges.

tomthehaggis 12:14 20 Dec 2007

i have a cannon iP4500. i was just wondering if anyone knows why there are 2 black ink catridges? is one a reserve? the codes on them are "Black: PGI-5BK" and "Black: CLI-8BK" if that means anything to anyone.

thanks

Clapton is God 12:27 20 Dec 2007

The two black cartridges include a dye-based black that brings extra depth and contrast to photos

stylehurst 14:01 20 Dec 2007

I use an Epson R285; very good quality prints from a 6 single cartridge system. Preferred the Epson over the Canon as I do not like having to swap cartridges, I find the one in storage tends to dry out resulting in need to replace.
Another good point about Epson (also shared by Canon) is that one can print onto CD/DVDs.

Completely separate but worth considering for your small photos upto 6x4 is a dye sublimation printer; quality is better than an inkjet in my opiion & they are reasonably chep to purchase as a printer unit.

Simsy 15:02 20 Dec 2007

bought the Canon iP5300 and am very pleased with it.

Photos are excellent. Reviews say text is excellent as well. That is not my experience, BUT, I am only using VERY cheap plain paper, and text is perfectly satisfactory.

It also has two paper feeds; one from a cassette, that is covered and protected from dust, and a conventional, nearly vertical sheet feeder, that can be kept closed if you're not using it.

It does print onto CDs/DVDs, using included tray gizmo, (but this isn't something I've done.)
5 seperate ink carts.
Borderless printing.
Duplex printing.
The included software works well

I've had mine about 3 months. I paid about £85, at Amazon.

I got this to replace my Canon s630, which I'd had for nearly 7 years. This was excellent. The only problem was that the printhead went on the blink after about 3 years, (mostly compatible carts), and cost about £80 to replace. When this one went the same way I decided the rather than spend £80 on another head I'd spend a little more on a newer, better spec printer.
This iP53 has what appears to be a similar type of printhead, so perhaps I'll only get 3-4 years out if this as well? I'd be happy with that.

Good luck,

Regards,

Simsy

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?