Advice on new PC setup

Roadgiant 19:40 21 Dec 2008

Father Christmas (with kind permission from my other half!) is bringing me a new Pc on Thursday and I wonder if anyone can make a few suggestions on setup. The new Pc is an Intel Core 2 Quad Q9400 with 4Gb of Ram and 2 hard drives, the primary is 250Gb with Vista Home Premium and the secondary hard drive is a 750Gb drive. I also have 2 external 500GB USB drives.
I will be using the Pc for various different tasks some gaming, video editing and photo editing to name a few.I have Office 2007 as well as Photoshop and various other programs such as video editing software as well as Acronis 11 for back up.
My current Pc is an Athlon 2400 with 1Gb of Ram and a 200Gb hard drive running XP

1.Is it better to put the programs on the primary drive and just use the secondary drive for documents, video capture music files etc?

2.Is there anything to gain by partioning the 2 internals or am I best to leave them as they are?

3.Also is it worthwhile putting games on the secondary drive (I have some fairly hefty games on the way ie Farcry 2 and Crysis)?

4.How about backups, are they better on the secondary drive or on one of the externals?

Thanks in advance for any advice and suggestions RG

woodchip 20:18 21 Dec 2008

First thing you should do to save problems later, Buy Acronis True Image and make a Full Backup Image Or the Operating System Drive save it to the other Drive. This you can then Restore at Any Time including all that is on the Drive in about fifteen minutes

Roadgiant 20:26 21 Dec 2008

Thanks for the reply, as I mentioned in the original post I already have Acronis True Image 11 for backup.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:59 21 Dec 2008

I always have my programs on a different drive not partition

Tend to keep my op system on a smallish partition, easier to image and restore if required.

Data on a different partition on the same drive.

Always back up to external media, a surge or PSU failure can take motherboard and all internal hard drives.

GaT7 01:38 22 Dec 2008

1. Yes, this is what I do, although Fruit Bat's (FB) way is better (& you can remember to install programs this way each time!). Also see comment below*

2. Not much gain, but it's down to the individual & his/her needs (I like to have between 2-4 partitions on each). A good read click here

3. Yes, this is what I do too (again down to the individual)

4. Backups to externals, as FB suggests

*Remember, things like emails (OE, Outlook, etc), bookmarks, email address book, personalised settings, etc, reside on the primary drive by default. So, if you go FB's way, don't forget to back these up on a regular basis too. I'm sure some/all can be tweaked in settings/registry so these are automatically stored on a different partition/hard drive if required. G

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires