Advice on new PC

Spock39 01:45 25 Apr 2009

I am looking at PC World for a new computer, as after 5 years I have worn out my last on.
The problem is what one runs the fastet (as to prossesor speed), info follows -

PC WOrld

Advent QC8003

Intel Core 2 Quad Q8200 processor
(2.33GHz, 1333MHz FSB, 4MB Cache)
Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium
8GB DDR2 memory
1TB SATA hard drive (7200rpm)
512MB NVIDIA GeForce 9600GT graphics
Blu-Ray Player and DVD Rewriter

Price inc VAT £899.99

or the one I have, which is -

The one I have at the moment

Advent T9102

3.40 gigahertz Intel Pentium 4 HT (Hyper Thread)
(16 kilobyte primary memory cache
1024 kilobyte secondary memory cache)
Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 3 (build 2600)
1536 Megabytes Installed Memory
245.83 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT [Display adapter]
Proview CY765 [Monitor] (17.1"vis, s/n FGXJ4B0157745, November 2004)

any advice will be helpfull. I usually look for one around the £1000.00 mark when buying a new one every 4 to 5 years.
I also do a lot of video work on the computer too so need one that will be able to handle video and heavy games like Project Torque, Americas Army and other online game that are similar.

Thanks agian for your help

gazzaho 02:32 25 Apr 2009

I'm not that knowledgeable about one CPU over another regarding speeds, it was simple with single core Pentium CPU's, basically the faster the chip the higher the gigahertz. Now days with multi cored CPU's I'm uncertain when comparing old with new, I can say that from using Nero to process and author DVD video that my Core 2 notebook is roughly twice as fast as my old desktop Pentium 4, my notebook is 1.85GHz and the old Pentium was of a comparable speed, it also runs games better than the pentium.

I bought a new 2.66GHz overclocked to 3.4GHz Quad core machine last year and it is perhaps twice as fast as my notebook at processing video with Nero.

Put it this way using the old Pentium 4 took 5 or so hours to process a video. My notebook would take around 2 or so hours to process the same video and my new quad core machine takes around an hour or less. Also I'm able to download faster on my notebook and quad core machines than the old Pentium, I was getting 6 Mbit on it and it went up to 10 Mbit when using the multi core machines, hope this helps somewhat.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?