Advice for new PC

MAC 12:31 30 Apr 2004

I have a budget of £400 to spend on a new processor, motherboard and memory and possibly a modern looking aluminium case if the funds allow. Although this is a home PC I wish to build a high end computer suitable for video editing and burning onto my DVD writer, something which my PIII struggles with.

I am considering an Athlon 64 processor as the core but with a processor of this speed should I purchase 500MB of RAM or push the boat out and get a full 1GB? Will the additional memory be a waste of money best spent elsewhere?

I know I could read your PC reviews and copy their specs but does anyone know of a site for home build users who create high-end machines?

Thank you in advance for all the excellent responses I always receive.

Trolley 12:48 30 Apr 2004

It may be well worthwhile plumping for te full 1gb of RAM.

I have an athlon XP 3000 with 512mb RAM, and it too can struggle when working with large amounts of video data and recording to CD's or DVD's.

Have you already got a sizeable hard drive that you can work with then?

What components don't you need?

byfordr 13:03 30 Apr 2004

Memory seems to be going up in price at the moment. I would think a significant chunk of your money could go on memory (depending on type). Try click here click here for bundles.

joseph k. 13:48 30 Apr 2004

Having a mere AMD2800 and 512 mbs RAM I would certainly buy the very best you can afford. Although reasonable the 2800 is hopeless at multi - tasking, even when you only have photoshop 7 and a couple of other things on the go.

MAC 14:04 30 Apr 2004

At the moment I have an 7200 rpm 80GB which fills up very quickly. After I have built the new PC I will upgrade to the largest I can afford ie 200GB plus.

I have taken byfordr's advice and am currently looking at the downloaded Novatech brochure. I think it may be best to copy a high spec machine from Novatech, Mesh or Dell.

Thank you
MAC

byfordr 19:08 30 Apr 2004

For hard disks try click here nicely breaks it down into cost per gb. About £100 for 200 gig hard drive. £70 for 160 gb.

R

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?