Advice on new laptop - Dell or Acer

wildhouse 18:44 25 Nov 2009

I need to get my daughter a new laptop for her final year at uni - current one had water spilt over it! She needs to install Microsoft Office (which we have) - her main needs are Word and the Internet. However, she also downloads a plays a lot of music and watches DVD's and TV programs on it - also the occasional game. Any advice gratefully received - I have narrowed it down to the following - all have 250GB and all cost around £400 (her top budget as coming from her student loans).

Acer 5738 with Intel Pentium Dual-Core processor T4300 (2.1Ghz, 800Mhz, 1MB Cache); 3GB Memory; Intel Graphics 4500MHD 64MB dedicated (up to 1470MB) MB; DOLBY HOME THEATRE sound; webcam; TV Out - PC World

Dell Inspiron 1545 with Intel® Celeron Dual Core T3000 (1.80 GHz, 800 MHz FSB, 1 MB L2 Cache); 3072MB 800MHz Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM; 256MB ATI Mobility Radeon HD4330; Primary 6-cell 46 WHr Lithium Ion battery; no webcam - Dell

Dell Inspiron 1545 with Intel Pentium Dual-Core processor T4300 (2.10Ghz, 800Mhz, 1MB Cache); 3GB Memory; Graphics Card Type Intel 4 Series Integrated Graphics Memory Shared Memory MB; Sound Type 2 Integrated; Battery Type 4 cell; webcam - PC World

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:06 25 Nov 2009

Dell more reliable than ACER IMHO (just search the forum for Acer faults)

6 cell battery will last much longer than 4 cell if battery use required often.

wildhouse 19:28 25 Nov 2009

I presume you would think the Dell Pentium would be better than the Celeron. If so, then it comes from PC World/Curry's (or we pay an extra £30 from Dell and hope delivery is not as long as they say!) and it is not possible to change the battery. I work in a school who have Acer laptops who seem to think they are quite good. The current damaged Dell laptop's battery only lasted 15 months, and we had to change the hard-drive within 20 months so I was a bit unsure about another one. So pros and cons with both!

aitch2 19:35 25 Nov 2009

I was in the same sitaution with my daughter just over a year ago and like you compared prices/ models/ features etc. Daughter finally chose the Acer, bought from Comet, best price at the time, albeit a slightly different model, but very pleased with it. Reliability/ battery life very good. Between the two the argument is as broad as it is long. It's going to come down to personal preference but either will suit. It's just that my daughter chose the Acer.
Aitch

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:42 25 Nov 2009

Your going to get conflicting advice but your daughter is the one that has to use it, so get the one she feels the most comfortable with.

wildhouse 19:52 25 Nov 2009

She doesn't care - as long as she can have it yesterday (assignment due soon)! Having said that, I think if she finds when her deadline is over and she wants to play Championship Manager or watch a DVD she's going to want the one with the better graphics card!

wildhouse 17:59 26 Nov 2009

Am probably going with the Acer - the Dell has gone up in price since I first looked and Acer seems to have a better spec. But I have also seen a Fujitsu Li3710. Anyone know if they are any good?
Thanks

mooly 18:14 26 Nov 2009

I have an Acer Aspire, and touch wood, it's been excellent...can't fault it in any way. 3 year old and used extensively daily.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?