Advice for new Intel Motherboard I5 build

Audio~~Chip 15:35 17 Aug 2010

lost for choice with too many options, I need to run WinXP Pro but also need to make sure it will be compatible for Windows 7 in another year or 2.

Not really interested in SLI or RAID. I am puzzled if USB 3 & SATA 3 are really worth it.

I like ASUS & Gigabyte board and prefer a Intel Chipset. Have read the H Chipsets are not too good something to do with onboard graphics which I don't want.

Any ideas or pointer or recomendation please, price not too much of a problem.

ashleycardwell94 20:28 17 Aug 2010

no matter what you buy these days, in a year or two, there will be better. SATA3, if you were thinking of using an SSD then ok, but a HDD, remember that these have their own limits. USB3, if must ok, but remember for maximum advantages, you need a USB3 compatible device, and i think the connector is different too. Im not sure if they will do PCI cards with USB 3 on them but if you think you want it in the future and not now, look for PCI cards with it.

Audio~~Chip 23:50 17 Aug 2010

So that chucks SATA 3 & USB 3 out the window for me agree on what you say.

Thinking of something like Intel I3 or I5 based for motherboard socket

keef66 11:29 18 Aug 2010

USB 3 is worth it if you plan to do regular backups to a USB 3 external HDD; so much quicker than USB 2. However, you can already buy USB 3 expansion cards, so it's not a biggie.

SATA 3 is not so compelling, unless you're trying to build the fastest thing on the planet.

If you're planning to use a graphics card, then go for a board without integrated graphics; no point in paying for something you won't use (although it could be useful in diagnosing a problem with your graphics card)

Audio~~Chip 12:18 18 Aug 2010

If I got a USB 3 & SATA 3 Motherboard, would by USB 2 or even 1 & SATA II work ok with the motherboard as to say is the v3 types backwards compatible ?

keef66 12:54 18 Aug 2010

Yep, both are backwards compatible. The USB 3 ports are a different shape but are designed to accept USB 2 connectors (but then obviously work at USB 2 speeds)

Audio~~Chip 13:54 18 Aug 2010

Now I need recomendations on which are good Intel Chipset motherbaord. Confused what makes a good intel chipset motherboard I see these H or P ones its a bit daunting and big puzzle to me.

Audio~~Chip 16:45 18 Aug 2010

Intel I series socket motherboard ?

keef66 17:16 18 Aug 2010

I'm sure they are all good. You need a P55 (no integrated graphics) or a H55 (with IG) motherboard. Both socket 1156.

Look on Ebuyer or Novatech, choose your favourite brand / price / feature set.

Curiously the H55 boards seem to be cheaper than the P55's, so maybe you should ignore my earlier comment about paying for integrated graphics.

Audio~~Chip 21:25 18 Aug 2010

I was leaning towards the P55, Intergrated VGA would seem a waste of extra resources as I prefer a dedicated PCI-Express.

Will look at the Asus & Gigabyte offerings, i also like Ebuyer & Novatech used in the past.

Thank U

Audio~~Chip 22:11 19 Aug 2010

will have to do my own homework and take the risk. Though a big thanks to ashleycardwell94 & keef66 for some important points drawn to my attention.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?