Advice needed....Desperately!

onedaymyfriend 18:09 25 Mar 2010

Hi guys!

My sister has got a problem with her Acer laptop, the power socket is faulty and needs replaceing. The cost of an engineer is £125+, with a new socket only costing £8.

I've repaired loadsa mobile phones (which i realise aren't laptops) and was after your opinion as to whether you think I could replace the socket myself?

Any advise would be much apprecited,

D~

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:12 25 Mar 2010

Its a resolder job.

The cost is down to the amount of time it takes to strip the motherboard out and rebuild the laptop after the repair.

If you bodge it - one scrap laptop.
If they bodge it - they are responsible for replacement.

Technotiger 18:15 25 Mar 2010

As long as you have the Service Manual (usually download-able), and are handy with a soldering iron, I don't see why you could not manage it yourself.

johnnyrocker 19:57 25 Mar 2010

switch off power supply first

johnny

Jollyjohn 20:25 25 Mar 2010

£125 is not a bad price. I got one repaired for £75 but I had put two customers in touch with the shop who each bought laptops so the guy owed me a favour!
You could do it yourself but dismantling a laptop without breaking it is quite tricky - good luck

Technotiger 20:56 25 Mar 2010

I had fun bringing a very old, very dead laptop to life again, after downloading the service Manual for it. I had never done anything like it before, but only took a few days to get it up and running! I replaced CMOS battery, hard drive and changed CD drive for a DVD drive - even got it on-line wireless, using a dongle and my BT HomeHub.

I'm a 75yrs young whizkid, so if I can do it, you can too!!

This is it ... before ...

click here

and after ...

click here

Graham. 23:14 25 Mar 2010

Could you do anything with this if I had won it click here?

Technotiger 08:27 26 Mar 2010

Hi, sorry to say No, I don't think so. It has the Dir list on screen, but I am not familiar enough with DOS to actually get it moving along. I only got my first PC in 2000, so anything earlier than '98 is beyond my capabilities.

If it was purely 'mechanical-electrical' I probably could fix it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017