Advice needed....Desperately!

onedaymyfriend 18:09 25 Mar 2010

Hi guys!

My sister has got a problem with her Acer laptop, the power socket is faulty and needs replaceing. The cost of an engineer is £125+, with a new socket only costing £8.

I've repaired loadsa mobile phones (which i realise aren't laptops) and was after your opinion as to whether you think I could replace the socket myself?

Any advise would be much apprecited,

D~

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:12 25 Mar 2010

Its a resolder job.

The cost is down to the amount of time it takes to strip the motherboard out and rebuild the laptop after the repair.

If you bodge it - one scrap laptop.
If they bodge it - they are responsible for replacement.

Technotiger 18:15 25 Mar 2010

As long as you have the Service Manual (usually download-able), and are handy with a soldering iron, I don't see why you could not manage it yourself.

johnnyrocker 19:57 25 Mar 2010

switch off power supply first

johnny

Jollyjohn 20:25 25 Mar 2010

£125 is not a bad price. I got one repaired for £75 but I had put two customers in touch with the shop who each bought laptops so the guy owed me a favour!
You could do it yourself but dismantling a laptop without breaking it is quite tricky - good luck

Technotiger 20:56 25 Mar 2010

I had fun bringing a very old, very dead laptop to life again, after downloading the service Manual for it. I had never done anything like it before, but only took a few days to get it up and running! I replaced CMOS battery, hard drive and changed CD drive for a DVD drive - even got it on-line wireless, using a dongle and my BT HomeHub.

I'm a 75yrs young whizkid, so if I can do it, you can too!!

This is it ... before ...

click here

and after ...

click here

Graham. 23:14 25 Mar 2010

Could you do anything with this if I had won it click here?

Technotiger 08:27 26 Mar 2010

Hi, sorry to say No, I don't think so. It has the Dir list on screen, but I am not familiar enough with DOS to actually get it moving along. I only got my first PC in 2000, so anything earlier than '98 is beyond my capabilities.

If it was purely 'mechanical-electrical' I probably could fix it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?