Advice needed on partitioning hard drives

erkmatrix 11:13 30 Dec 2008

Hi

I got a VelociRaptor 300 GB Western Digital WD3000GLFS V internal hard drive and Windows XP64 for christmas and before I installed it I wanted to ask in here on the best method of doing this as I'm not very used to installing hardware and don't want to wreck my machine.

My current setup is XP home on a 500gb internal sata drive and I want to have XP Pro x64 also as a dual boot setup to have the option of choosing.

The machine is mainly for Photoshop work so what would you recommend I partition on what drives. Should I keep my xp home on my current c drive and then have xp x64 pro on my new velociraptor drive with it partitioned to have photoshop and then a further partition to work as a scratch disk drive.

Is that a good idea if so how do I partition my velociraptor drive as I've never done such a thing before or does anyone have an alternative suggestion please.

Thanks very much

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:40 30 Dec 2008

Should I keep my xp home on my current c drive and then have xp x64 pro on my new velociraptor drive with it partitioned to have photoshop and then a further partition to work as a scratch disk drive.

Yes have the other version of XP on the seperate disk not the seperate partition on the same drive as the 32bit.

Have you installed the drive yet?
If so then use diskmanagement to make two partitions on the new drive and format them.

Once done you will have two more drive letters

Bot from your XP64 CD and run setup it will find the partitions and ask where you want to install to.
Tell it the first of the new drive letters.
It should then instal and when you rboot it will give you a choice of which system to boot to Home or Pro.

erkmatrix 14:10 30 Dec 2008

thanks for the reply

No I've not yet installed the new drive but will do what you have said.

With all my software, should they be on a seperate partition to my operating systems. So they can work on both operating systems. What i'm tring to say is when I'm on say my xp pro x64 on my d: drive my new hard drive do I get access to programs put on my c-drive still or do you need to install say photoshop on both drives

cheers

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:29 30 Dec 2008

You will have to install the programs on both systems for them to work.

erkmatrix 09:35 02 Jan 2009

cheers fruit bat

I am Spartacus 13:22 02 Jan 2009

If a scratch disk for Photoshop works in a similar way to that for video editing then I wouldn't put it on a partition of the OS drive. it will slow it down.

I would put an OS on each partition and use a separate disk for the scratch disk, something like a Samsung F1.

I am Spartacus 13:22 02 Jan 2009

P.S. I have a VelociRaptor and it's a very tiny fraction faster than a Samsung 1TB F1.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse's new logo: the trainer brand looks to its heritage for a fresh identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans ├ęchec ?