Advice needed on First Ever Computer Build

jonnewman1982 17:13 28 Feb 2011

I am going to say from the outset that I am a COMPLETE novice when it comes to custom pc building. I have never built a pc before and have always bought from the shelf.

I have recently got interested in building a pc as I think it will be an interesting hobby plus I would just like to know how all the bits work. Also you can get a much better spec for your buck.

I will be predominantly using the computer for internet usage, music playback, and photo and video manipulation in Photoshop. I am not a pc gamer as I use my xbox for that. My main concern is that I hate it when a computer lags and as such simply want it to be able to perform this simple tasks as quickly as possible.

I would however like a high-end spec pc which has an element of future-proofing about it.

I have briefly researched what components I think I would like and have come up with the spec below. I would really appreciate your thoughts on this spec and some advice as to whether all the components are compatible or whether there are more suitable products on the market?

CPU Intel i5 2500k £163 click here

Motherboard Asus P8P67 LE P67 Socket 1155 USB 3.0 8 Channel Audio ATX Motherboard £100 click here

Case & PSU Coolermaster Elite 430 All Black Case With Elite 500W PSU £58 click here

RAM Kingston 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1333MHz i5 Memory Kit Non-ECC CL9 1.5V £65 click here

Hard Drive 1 Crucial 64GB Real SSD C300 2.5" - SATA 6Gb/s Interface - Read 355MB/s Write 75MB/s £85 click here

Hard Drive 2 Samsung HD103SJ Spinpoint F3 1TB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 32MB Cache £40 click here

Graphics Card Asus HD 4350 512MB DDR2 DVI VGA HDMI Out PCI-E Low Profile Graphics Card
Sound Card Onboard £30 click here

Optical Drive - Bluray "Samsung Electronics
Samsung SH-B123L/BSBP 12x BD-ROM DVD±RW DL & RAM Lightscribe SATAII Optical Drive - OEM Black" £43 click here

Operating System Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium - Licence and media - 1 PC - OEM - DVD - 64-bit - £70 click here

TOTAL COST £654

D@ve 02:51 02 Mar 2011

First of all you have chose a SandyBridge processor. Are you aware of the current fault on the chipsets on these motherboards? Although the SandyBridge processors are very good, I think that personally I would wait until the chipset issue is resolved.

You have chose the i5 2500K over the cheaper i5 2500. I believe the only difference between these is that the multiplier is unlocked on the K version - do you intend to overclock? If not then it is unnecessary to buy that version.

The graphics card you have chose is a low profile card, made to fit slimline cases, so will not fit in your full size case properly. You should buy one that is not 'Low Profile'. It is also a pretty low powered one. I'm not sure if Photoshop ever places much strain on the graphics card but it may be worthwhile finding out.

If you have a student living at home with you (or happen to be one yourself), you will be eligible to buy Windows 7 at a reduced rate, available click here

Should be a very good PC once built. Good Luck!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017