Advice needed - creative hardware

Lightspeedchump 22:35 17 Sep 2011

I need some informed advice regarding the purchase of a new laptop.

I am a digital art student/recreational digital artist/ semi professional digital artist.

So of course I need performance - I am becoming very annoyed with my old laptop - who admittedly, has served me valiantly even though I have consistently pushed it far beyond its limits.

I need to be able to run programs such as Photoshop, Maya, 3DS max, Soundforge and other industry standard visual and audio editing programs - preferably simultaneously - but definitely effortlessly, and for extended periods of time.

I also need to be able to use a multi-monitor set up, no less than 2 screens but ideally more - and to a crisp high definition standard. Also, hardware such as my graphics tablet, wireless mouse and keyboard should not hinder my performance.

I would also like to know, do the requirements I mentioned before translate into a good gaming system ?

I appreciate any advice and suggestions as to other requirements I may want to consider ( if you are in the same boat as me or are particularly clued up in high end creative needs ).

One last note, I currently study on a digital art scholarship which pays for any hardware I may need - so price is not a particular issue.

Thank you very much.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

This is what design agencies will look like in 2032

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

WhatsApp : comment lire vos messages sans que l’expéditeur le sache