Advice needed on connecting wireless routers

FelixTCat 22:22 15 Jul 2006

Hi all,

I need some advice please. Currently I set up my adsl modem wireless router on an extension socket. I need 4 ports on the router for static computers and run a pc and a laptop wirelessly. I want to move the adsl modem to the master socket but I cannot move the 4-port router because I cannot move the pcs connected to it.

I could run an ethernet cable from the existing adsl wireless router (after moving it to the master socket) to a new switch or router feeding the pcs, but that means cutting holes in the wall, which I would prefer to avoid.

How easy would it be to set up a wireless router to connect between the adsl wireless router and the pcs in the other room? What settings would I have to use to make sure that I could network all the pcs, wired and wireless? Are there any "gotcha"s I should avoid?

All advice gratefully received, even if not acted upon.

Thanks in advance,

Felix

ade.h 22:41 15 Jul 2006

You can't really daisy-chain routers. You'd need to add some kind of switch or access point that is capable of being be daisy-chained.

ade.h 22:42 15 Jul 2006

being be? Should type more carefully.

mgmcc 23:22 15 Jul 2006

What you want is a Wireless Network Bridge, which is the opposite of a Wireless Access Point.

A Wireless Access Point (as incorporated in a router), lets Wireless Computers access a Wired network.

A Wireless Network Bridge lets Wired computers access a Wireless network.

Therefore, if you wire your computers to the 'Bridge', it will communicate with the router.

...at least that's the theory ;-)

FelixTCat 23:40 15 Jul 2006

Thanks, mgmcc. I've seen these about, particularly the Buffalo WLA2-G54L. Is the setup relatively straightforward for SSID, WPA encryption, etc?

Thanks,

Felix

ade.h 00:28 16 Jul 2006

Yeah, a bridge. That's what I was trying to think of. Apologies for any confusion.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

How secure is your Wi-Fi?

AMD vs Intel: we put the most powerful desktops for designers and artists head-to-head

iPhone tips & tricks

Les meilleurs ordinateurs portables 2017