Advice needed for buying a lap top

geek84 10:16 17 Aug 2010

Good Morning

I am not very computer literate and I want to buy my first lap top. I have about £400/£500 to spend. Can someone please give me advice what to look for when deciding which lap top to purchase? For example, how is memory size measured? What if I want to be able to download music or take photos? What facilities would I need to look for? Also, should I go for a particular make like Hewlett Packard, or shall I go for a less known brand? Finally, shall I take out an 'After Sales Agreement' to cater for any possible repairs that may need to be done?

Thanks in advance for any responses.

Manjinder

gengiscant 12:03 17 Aug 2010

Memory or ram is measured in Gigabyte and the more you have the better.
Downloading music etc is governed by your Internet connection, what laptop you have has no real effect except in terms of storage, which means a harddrive,which again is measured in gigabytes and again more is better.
Not sure what you mean by taking photos unless you mean an inbuilt web cam as your photos will obviously come from another source a digital camera or video camera perhaps.

What laptop to suggest also depends on what you will be doing on it. If it is just for surfing,email,office stuff and the like, your budget will get you a very fair laptop.If on the other hand you will want to do a bit of modern gaming then you will be toiling with your budget.

As for taking out an extended warranty,I personally belive they are an expensive waste of money. There is much help to be had in forums such as this and it is free.

babybell 14:16 17 Aug 2010

I personally always buy from Dell.

If your only looking to download photos and music and browse the internet in general, then their entry level laptop is good enough for that, and it is only £379!

If you take the average mp3 song or good quality photo at around 3mb each, then with this entry level laptop you could save over 83'000 pictures/songs. Which I think you'll agree is plenty :o)

Take a look. click here

ridicle 00:50 18 Aug 2010

you can try here

click here

or click here

birdface 19:53 18 Aug 2010

A few on here at Aldi you get 3 year free waranty with them.
Worth a look.

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder des séries et talk-shows américains en France ?