advice needed!

User-4A928052-8F29-4815-83BF4F92A006A5C0 23:06 19 Mar 2003

Hard-drive!
My installation of windows on my hard-drive recently errored and so i thought it was about time to delete it. In doing this, my partition with windows on it has somehow become errored and i have been running scandisk on it for about 5 hours and it is only at 9%!! The partition is only 10GB and yet it is constantly finding:

'Some data is stored in a damaged area of drive E:.....'

I believe the actual physical hard-drive is damaged but want someone else to verify this for me before i start complaining!

User-312386 23:09 19 Mar 2003

are you running scandisc in safe mode?

what is your operating system?

madboy33

graham 00:41 20 Mar 2003

advice given! Start complaining immedietly! Delete windows, scan drive E in safe mode and re-boot.

szk2003 01:16 20 Mar 2003

well if your computer is complaining about your drive been damaged then it properbly is, so the best way i think is to go back to the supplier if it's still under warranty or get a professional to have a look at it.

codfanglers 02:06 20 Mar 2003

Look in the dos scandisk where your drive is shown by a picture, I suspect you'll find many bad sectors, I did and yes I'm afraid you'll need a new disk, start complaining

John-259217 02:16 20 Mar 2003

If you know the make of your hard drive you could try downloading the manufacturers disk utilities from their website. These are installed to a floppy and will check the hard drive from startup, they may also be able to recover damaged areas better than standard windows utilities. Read the warnings about data loss before running them though.

I have totally formatted the whole of my hard-drive and so i have no installations of windows on it any more. I am running a surface scan after booting into dos using an old 98 boot-disk.

I will start complaining to the company i bought it from and will try to download any utilities that i can find.

Thanks!

Any more ideas?

tbh72 13:24 20 Mar 2003

If scandisk is taking a long time, you could alway's select the auto repair function. This way you don't have to stand over the machine, it will automatically fix the block & move onto the next

I dont think there is an autorepair feature if you run scandisk from a bootdisk, infact i am pretty sure there isnt!

Any other ideas?

powerless 15:23 20 Mar 2003

scandisk /autofix

cheers!! ill give it a go!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?