Advice on laptop for my dad please ..

swayzak 13:18 04 Feb 2008

hi

I like the look of this:

click here

My dad is in his 70s and only wants it for internet & some office stuff. He will also want to watch some family camcorder videos.

I was little put off by reviews saying the graphics chip was bascially crap & wouldn't be able to watch full screen video.

Does this mean just full definition dvd video ?

ie. would it be OK for 15 / 30 fps camcorder footage, BBC & Youtube videos etc ?

thanks

swayzak

Technotiger 13:33 04 Feb 2008

Hi, I reckon that laptop would do what your Dad wants ok - I believe that these so-called Reviews are often written by people who consider themselves absolute experts, who only ever deal with super-duper top-of-the-range products that us mere mortals can only dream about. Like looking at all the super-cars on Top-Gear, how many of us can ever expect to drive around at 180mph on empty race-tracks! I say go-for-it.

kjrider 17:11 04 Feb 2008

I got the cheapest from PC World £296 and it does everything fine.

Plays CDs DVDs + writes/edits to them, wifi access to the net, WP. load photos onto it.

Most laptops will be fine. Even my old IBM with its 336 CPU just about managed to play DVDs.

KJR

brundle 17:15 04 Feb 2008

Very good for the money...my similar-spec Toshiba cost half as much again 6 months ago and copes with everything I throw at it even with `only` 1Gb memory

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?