Advice on how to set up wireless to connect 1 pc

seh 13:45 09 Nov 2005

I currently have broadband connected via BT Voyager 105 modem. This is connected to BT phone line downstairs but I have to use an extension lead connection to desktop pc upstairs. I want to get rid of the extention lead and go wireless but being new to computing am unsure whether I can use existing 105 modem with an added router and USB adaptor or if I need to purchase a new modem with router and a USB adaptor. Any advice would be extremely useful

mgmcc 20:54 09 Nov 2005

You need to get a combined Wireless "Router/ADSL Modem" - your current USB modem cannot be used with a router. A Wireless Adapter then needs to be installed in the PC and this can be either USB or an internal PCI card, if you have a spare slot.

seh 23:33 09 Nov 2005

Many thanks for your advice. I can now go ahead with purchase knowing that I am purchasing correct equipment. It is so confusing for a newcomer like me.

Taff™ 06:52 10 Nov 2005

Diagram click here

Router with bundled USB adapter click here= PCW have a whole new range of modem routers at the moment and this bundle is likely to be the last of the line. It`s been reduced by £10 in the last fortnight. It will do the job for you though.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017