advice for home network - please

iamalipaul 22:06 20 Sep 2003

someone must have done this before. I want to network 2 PCs together to enable net access from the 2nd PC. Ive heard this could be possible without the main PC being powered up, is this true?

I know the cheapest method would be 2 NICs and a cable, but what would be the approx cost of a wireless LAN link?

The hardware: the second PC is brand new with XP, and the main amd 1700 with win98 se. the modem is a Rockwell V90 PCI card about 4 years old.
I realise I should upgrade to XP on the main PC to reduce any probs.

appreciate any advice

cheers

LastChip 23:18 20 Sep 2003

If you want internet access on both machines, but WITHOUT the main machine powered up, you need a router.

You should buy a router that has a built in modem and firewall as a minimum. This plugs into your telephone line, and each computer connects to the router. Likewise, if you want to go to a wireless solution, you still need a wireless router, but be aware, wireless networks bring their own challenges, not least of which is security, and are never as fast as a conventional network.

If you are content to have your "internet" computer on whilst using the internet, the solution is considerably cheaper. The cheapest option would be, two network cards and a crossover cable.

There is no reason to up-grade to XP on the main PC. Win98se is adequate.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Intel Coffee Lake release date and specifications

These beautiful, mesmerising & subtle GIFs celebrate 30 years of the artform

watchOS 4 review

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017