Advice on HDD's required

CR93Pete 21:01 27 Apr 2007

I have a home built PC, from advice in PCA back in the back end of 2002. It consists now of a Gigabyte GN-7N400 Pro2 Motherboard, 2 X 80GB hard drives, an ATI Radeon 9550 AGP card, Asus CRW 4816 SCSI CDROM, a LG GSA-H10N DVD ROM as well as 512MB memory soon to be 1.5GB. As I have been using it for video capture and editing I would like to expand the hard drive capacity. Because of the video captue and the set up I have to have both discs the same capacity. Can I use 2 x 300-320GB discs and use ACRONIS to clone the operating system onto one of them together with all the other garbage, then install the other which is used only for the videeo that is captured. The two earier discs could then be utilised by puting the in caddy's to collect spare video untill required. The only thing that intrigues me is the HDD used are ATA100 but this board will support ATA133 and also there is connections for SATA 150MB on the Motherboard but not used ? What does the team reckon on the best way to go ?

Strawballs 21:17 27 Apr 2007

Yes you can do what you are suggesting with Acronis which will also negate the need for re-activation that comes with clean install.

CR93Pete 22:27 27 Apr 2007

So far so good. But what is the better way ? The IDE conneection or can I use the SATA to advantage ? I see acording to the book the SATA are at 150MB but I think the majority of drives available are 300 ? Will I need to provide connections to the sockets on the motherboard or are they provided with the HDD's ?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?