Advice on a good multifunction printer.

Daibus 11:18 16 Feb 2008

I know this question has been asked many times before I want to purchase a multifunction printer, scanner etc as I'm sick of trying to unclog the print heads on my Cannon i850.

I have been looking at the the Lexmark 4550/4850(WiFi)and the HP C4280 both of which have so so reviews on the net, especially the HP. I understand that Lexmark cartridges include the print head as do HP cartridges. Is this correct and what are your opinions on the two devices mentioned and what would be the current advice for a good multifunction device and does the WiFi option on Lexmark printers function well to a laptop in a different part of the house?

Many thanks.

Gongoozler 12:19 16 Feb 2008

Lexmark and HP have the print head in the cartridge, which makes makers original cartridges very expensive. Refilled cartridges from Choice (click here) are very good and much cheaper. This has the advantage that when you fit a new cartridge you have a new print head - or a cleaned and tested one in a refilled cartridge. Epson and Canon printers have the print head built into the printer, so if the printer isn't used for a long time the head can clog. In an Epson replacing the print head would generally cost more than a new printer and so would be uneconomical. I have just bought a Canon MP600R. This has the printhead in the printer, but it's an easily replaceable item (about £45). The MP600R is expensive as inkjet MFDs go (about £150) but it's a superb machine wireless, quiet, fast, duplex and excellent copying quality. I have always considered Lexmark to be cheap and poorly built.

2bathred 19:25 16 Feb 2008

I see you've got a Cannon i850, I have the Cannon MP510 multifunction and I think it's really good. I know it has been superceded but if the new ones are as good I certainly would recommend them.Seperate ink cartridges as well so much cheaper than a multi cartridge.

woodchip 19:32 16 Feb 2008

There's the Epson RX660 I have the RX620 a older model It's very good. Sorry that should be RX650 click here

Daibus 10:13 17 Feb 2008

Thanks very much for your opinions.

Just another point that I am not sure of - if a printer includes the PictBridge option can a normal flash drive be used into this outlet to print text documents etc?

Cheers.

Gongoozler 12:40 17 Feb 2008

My Canon Canon MP600R can print pictures directly from camera card, flash usb stick, usb port, wireless device or Pictbridge. It will only print text via software on the computer.

Daibus 14:30 17 Feb 2008

Does that mean that if I load text onto a USB flash drive from my laptop and insert it into PictBridge on a printer, such as your Canon MP600R, it will not be able to print the file?

I ask this because if I don't get a WiFi enabled printer it would be a quick and easier way for me to print documents from my laptop, without having to hard connect the two machines, as they are in different parts of the house.

Thanks you again.

woodchip 14:37 17 Feb 2008

Why not Network your Computers if one is Wireless, you can then print to the other computer if switched on that as printers connected to it. It easy to do with XP

Daibus 16:54 17 Feb 2008

Yes a good suggestion, but my rather old Dell desktop, although working OK takes time to boot up and if you just want to print one or two documents it seems a bit of a long way round, and my laptop is the computer that I use all the time in a different part of the house.

Gongoozler 17:02 17 Feb 2008

The Canon Canon MP600R is wireless, and it was an absolute doddle to set up. You have to install the driver on any computer that wants to access it. As I said above, it's a bit more expensive than some at about £160, but the quality shows. No you can't print text via Pictbridge, only pictures.

Paul M 18:40 17 Feb 2008

I have this wireless printer/copier/scanner and have had no problems with it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?