advice fro wireless networking

nifermac 21:36 28 Mar 2004

hi hope someone can help me i've got a usb adsl modem and a wireless gateway router. but cant connect to the internet with these, have been told its because the modem is usb and the router is rj45. so it would appear that i need either another router or modem which would be my best choice.and where to purchase them. thanks for any advice you can offer.

LastChip 22:38 28 Mar 2004

You could use your existing equipment by using either a Proxy Server (software) or ICS - Internet Connection Sharing, which is effectively, Microsoft's version of a proxy server. The disadvantage to this, is the computer connected to the modem must be on for any other computer on your wireless LAN to be able to access the Internet.

You could change your modem to a type that supports connection to a router (RJ45). This option would mean the modem feeds directly into the router, and any computer that can access the router, can also access the internet independently of anything else.

You could change the router in a number of different ways.

The first would be to buy a router that supported a USB connection for your modem, and you could access the net as above.

Or, you could buy an ADSL wireless router that would combine all those functions.

As far as where to buy is concerned, well yer pays yer money and..........., but for one company that has knowledgeable people and is good for good advice, click here

nifermac 14:28 01 Apr 2004

thanks for the advice think i will go with the rj45 modem to start as it appears the least expensive option. thanks again

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017