Advice on Excel formula please

oo7juk 14:39 12 Nov 2007

Hi,

I have a workbook that conatins 2 sheets.
Sheet1 contains a list of names and next to the name the cell is populated with points. The columns also have a sum function at the bottom.

Sheet2 has a league table consisting of 3 columns titled position (1st, 2nd etc), name and points total.

After sheet1 has been updated and the total points generated I would like it to automatically populate sheet2 and put the person with the highest points total at the top next to number 1 etc.

At the moment I am selecting the name and points columns of sheet2 and sorting by 'points' in descending order.

Many thanks.

VoG II 16:20 12 Nov 2007

You should be able to use LARGE e.g.

=LARGE(A1:A10,1) gives the highest points

=LARGE(A1:A10,4) gives the 4th highest

There may be an issue if you have ties.

daba 23:13 12 Nov 2007

I have developed a "Pub Quiz" type score sheet that may be of interest to you.

It allows for (but can be easily modified) up to 20 teams and 8 rounds. There is no pre-determined restriction on round scores it simply adds them up. There is facility for a "Joker" round, which doubles the teams score on their selected round. After each score is entered, the display automatically updates into place order, and correctly shows "joint" placings. Highest score in each round is also highlighted.

Click my yellow envelope and I could send you a copy.

oo7juk 10:03 13 Nov 2007

Vog,

How would I trigger positions. When I inserted formula it looked down the range and generated the highest, which I think is what you meant. Would like it to put names into postion just like a league table, many thnaks for your assistance.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

11 best portfolio websites for designers and artists

Office for Mac buying guide: Price, Office 2017 rumours & new features

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?