advice with DriveXpert software running on my PC

sydsnott 13:29 09 Jan 2015
Answered

I have an Asus P5Q3 Motherboard and a single Samsung Spinpoint 500GB SATA drive.

I'm running Vista and have never attempted nor do I require a "Raid" configuration.

Most days after boot up, the Drive Xpert icon in the system tray says "Drive Xpert Offline", but some days it just says "Drive Xpert" when you hover over the icon.

Either way, it is using about 6500K of my increasingly rare RAM!

I've looked in "services.msc" expecting to be able to stop it from starting, but it's not listed there.

Found it in "msconfig" on the "startup" tab, but before "unticking" it, can anyone tell me if it is required...ie. is there life after DriveXpert?

xania 13:44 09 Jan 2015
Answer

Don't know VISTA, but I would have thought this irrelevant.

Have you seen this:

click here seems to me that you don't need this program at all if you are not running a RAID environment, so I would think it safe to untick this in msconfig and perhaps even consider uninstalling it in Add remove programs

It

sydsnott 23:11 09 Jan 2015

Thanks guys, I've "unticked it" in "msconfig Startup tab" and if the world doesn't end, I might try uninstalling it ...are there any benefits to doing that?

sydsnott 23:15 09 Jan 2015

By the way, has PCA Forums now given up on sending email notifications? I'm not getting any!

I'm not getting notifications either, and can't find any way to activate the feature.

sydsnott 14:23 10 Jan 2015

Having stopped it, there doesn't seem to be any ill effects so I'm happy to just leave it at that! Thanks for your advice xania and Rumpelteazer.

sydsnott 14:27 10 Jan 2015

Regarding "Subscribing" to posts, now I've scrolled lower down the page I can see that there is a tickbox for ad-hoc use, is there no longer an "all encompassing" instruction for any Questions personally posted to be automatically "Subscribed"?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?