advice on CPU temperature

walk2 22:08 30 Jan 2007

Just put a Pentium D 925 duel core CPU in my PC. In the BIOS it reports that it is running at a temperature of 66°C to 68°C. Is this ok or is there something I need to alter.

Anyone with any advice please.

sean-278262 22:26 30 Jan 2007

Alarmingly hot if that isnt when it is doing things. If that is idle I would check that the paste is applied correctly and reseat the CPU. If that is under load that is still a bit hot but nothing too extreme. However you could consider a better fan as the PD series fans are apparantly quite rubbish at cooling. Before you do that though consider getting a few case fans if you dont have some already.

walk2 22:41 30 Jan 2007

That is when its doing nothing.

I have a case with SIX fans so I guess that's not the problem. OK I'll remove the thermal pad and put a new one on.

I have thermal pads and paste. Which one do you think is best to use?

I have the the right stuff for cleaning the old pad off (got it just in case) so no problem with that.

Before turning on the power I removed the heatsink to turn around so the power connection was nearer the power socket on the m/board. I must have damaged the pad then. I was advised this would not be a problem.

walk2 22:43 30 Jan 2007

Also what would be an acceptable temperature when the PC is not doing anything (idle).

woodchip 23:09 30 Jan 2007

Paste but not too much, bang in the middle

walk2 23:26 30 Jan 2007

OK. any idea what temperature should be when it running fine.

ed-0 23:37 30 Jan 2007

30°C to 40°C, when idle.

As woodchip ( Hi woodchip :-) ) A little paste, not to much, as to much can make things worse.

walk2 23:45 30 Jan 2007

ok. many THANKS TO ALL for your help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?