Advice on converting cassettes to CD's.(WAV files)

hiwatt 12:56 22 Nov 2010

Hi folks,I'm in the process of converting old cassettes to cd.I've got a tape player(ION tape express)that converts to mps,but I'd ather have it in WAV format.I've also got a live cd which someone has burned with the 2 second gaps and it's really annoying.I was going to put the CD via audacity and remove the gaps but it wont let me import the files because they are windows media files(cda)Does anyone know of a good free program that will allow me to convert these files to WAV so I can edit out the gaps to have a continual play.Any advice on how to obtain best results converting/editing cassettes to wav files would be much appreciated.Thanks in advance.

GaT7 13:03 22 Nov 2010

Regarding the CD, Windows Media Player will 'rip' the CD to WAV.

In WMP > Options > Rip Music tab > Rip settings > Format > change to WAV (Lossless) in the drop down menu > Apply > OK.

Regarding the cassette to WAV via your ION player, try setting the output to WAV in Audacity or the software they supply - this will be in their Options. G

GaT7 13:04 22 Nov 2010

WMP > Tools > Options....

Any problem, just ask. G

hiwatt 13:20 22 Nov 2010

The only options I get are
Windows media audio
Windows media audio(Variable bit rate)
Windows media audio(lossless)
Mp3. Thanks.

GaT7 13:31 22 Nov 2010

Which program? Is that WMP v11 (click here)? I have the WAV option - a acreenshot: click here.

For Audacity, look in Preferences - from click here:
"Uncompressed Export Format: This lets you select the format that Audacity will use...
For most users, 16 bit WAV (Microsoft) or AIFF (Mac) files will be the most compatible."

G

hiwatt 13:49 22 Nov 2010

It's windows media player 10 I'm using.
I managed to suss out how to rip to WAV using winamp.Thanks.

GaT7 13:51 22 Nov 2010

Why aren't you using the latest version of WMP? Anyway, here's the link if you want to update click here. G

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?