Advice on choice between wifi modem routers

Newuser38 19:41 27 Aug 2005

I was tempted by PCWorld sale price on the Netgear DG834GT until I read the threads on this site. Any one able to comment on the BT Voyager 2100 when compared with the DG834GT.

I am moving Broadbandwards and at present have 3 PCs connected to the web but only live when they need to be used, the machines all do different things,but all use the same phoneline and number.
This, of course, does mean I cannot be online with more than one machine at a time, and as we have at last got BB access I guess I should take advantage even if it costs me more at the £14.99pcm level.

Thanks in advance for advice.

Dipso 00:04 28 Aug 2005

I have the Netgear DG834G (not GT) the 54Mbps version, this is sufficient for most needs. Amazon are doing them for £66.89 free delivery and you get a bundled WG111 wireless USB adapter.

I find mine to be very stable and reliable.

Taff36 08:25 28 Aug 2005

I have personally set up 3 of these and quite a few on this forum click here The instructions aren`t the best but we can help there! If you buy online & use the collect at store route you get the web price.

By the way, you say "even if it costs more than ...." Why should it? This router can be set up with any ADSL line, just as any other router for that matter), it`s only the ISP providers that want to charge you more for supporting it technically.

Taff36 08:33 28 Aug 2005

Note that this "bundle" includes a wireless USB adapter for one of your computers. The D-Link ones are £30 each to buy seperately. If you need more I suggest you pick a cheaper Belkin model at about £20 or less. They all should work.

Taff36 08:34 28 Aug 2005

Note that this "bundle" includes a wireless USB adapter for one of your computers. The D-Link ones are £30 each to buy seperately. If you need more I suggest you pick a cheaper Belkin model at about £20 or less. They all should work.

Newuser38 15:57 28 Aug 2005

Taff36
thanks for comments on the Dlink router.The price comment related to the fact that Broadband even at £14.99 is going to cost me more per month than my current 56kps deal.

Any comments on the BT router?

Taff36 23:30 28 Aug 2005

I have seen good comments about it on this forum - very easy to set up apparently. It`s BT as well and despite what everyone says about BT their products and service levels are better than average.

LAP 17:40 31 Aug 2005

I have a Bt 2100 router £65 from Amazon 1st class post and run 2 computers in same room using Bt 1050 usb netwoking adaptors. Excellent + easy set up. No knowledge of other products.

Gaz 25 19:57 01 Sep 2005

Depends on how much you want to spend...

Dlinks are ok, just one failed on me a while back.

Netgear are good, but always update your firmware.

Linksys, a few problems with some models, again generally ok if you update firmware.

That's your lower end ones...

Your higher end...

Draytek Vigor routers are very reliable, using one as a core router.

Cisco 870 series, yes, we're talking about £395 but they are rock solid and firewall is fantastic.

Gaz 25 19:58 01 Sep 2005

I run both a Draytek Vigor 2600g

and

Cisco 877W Wireless ADSL SOHO router

Alf58 00:58 02 Sep 2005

I've got a Belkin Wifi modem/router. It is excellent and so far has been reliable. Belkin have free 24 hour tech support which is quite a comforting thought.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?