Advice on buying a PC

LoneDesperado 04:23 11 Feb 2007

i need advice on buying this PC, need to know if its good and right for me. I will be using it to play games such as oblivion, F.E.A.R and such. also will be using for internet.

Dell dimension 3000P4 2.8GHZ 512MB DDR Ram DVD-ROM & CDRW onboard video and sound, 120GB 3.5" 7200 RPM IDE Hard drive and a 15in lcd screen

price: $367.17

thanks

bennyhillslovechild 06:48 11 Feb 2007

Personally I would say that computer does not fit your requirements at all. Both Oblivion and FEAR are graphically intensive games and with the oboard graphics you will struggle, if not find it impossible to get a playable frame rate. That's not to say you can't add a graphics card at a later date and boost your power, but again with only 512gb of ram, you are still going to be bottlenecking quite a bit. Also, I have opened up one or two of the cheaper Dell machines, and they lacked a slot on the motherboard for a graphics card.

So, No....it's would be fine for internet and office style use, but next to useless for games.
Sorry.

Andsome 07:19 11 Feb 2007

Why not visit a local computer shop and discuss your requirements with them. That way you can have one built to suit your exact requirements, and NOT have loads of so called free programs that you don't want. If you get any problems you will have help and support locally. I wouldn't dream of buying a commercial brand.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Microsoft Surface Book 2 hands-on review – bigger and 5x faster

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?