Advice of buying a new desktop

Green Eyes 17:53 18 Feb 2010

Hi,

I need to buy a new desktop PC and not having access to a ten year-old who would obviously know far more than me about computing I thought I’d ask for some advice on what I should be looking at.

In short I need the PC for standard office, email and internet use. I’m far too old to do gaming and don’t download music or videos although I do watch the occasional program on BBC iPlayer and listen to radio on BBC Listen Again – usually whilst browsing the web. I tend to browse a lot of websites and so often have several browsers open with several tabs open in each and want to have a decent response and not to have to keep waiting for pages to load. (My current battered Pentium 4 PC tends to freeze if I have too many browsers open – due to it having a single processor?).

I am looking to buy a desktop so the question is what would people recommend in terms of make, processor, processor speed, RAM and Operating System (I’m told I should avoid Vista!). I also wondered if refurbished PCs are a good idea or would I be better buying new? Any advice greatly appreciated!!

MAJ 17:59 18 Feb 2010

It's always better to buy new if your budget stretches to it. Any new desktop with at least a Core 2 Duo processor 3 GB of RAM and a 320GB hard drive should cover what you want to do. As for the browsing aspects, that's down to your internet connection.

robin_x 00:15 19 Feb 2010

I bought a desktop 5 years ago on the basis of expandability and ease of maintenance.

I don't use it now. I use the laptop.

Any sub £400 250GB wide screen (3GB RAM, Dual core preferable)

If you ever start collect movies/home videos. Get a NAS HDD or just a USB HDD.

Andsome 08:40 19 Feb 2010

My advice is always the same, DO NOT BUY ANY BRANDED MODEL. They come loaded in many cases with a dedicated operating system instead of standard MS. They are usually loaded with lots of trial programs and other rubbish, including Norton or McAffee. They rarely include a complete installation disc. Ask around for recommendations for a good local shop, and visit on a Saturday to see if they are busy,(always a good sign). Go back during a quieter period and discuss your requirements with the proprietor, and listen to his/her suggestions. Insist on getting a full installation disc, and go for Windows 7 Supreme. If you ever get problems, you will not have to hang on for ages on an expensive help line, instead you can Pop in for advice. he/she should be able to deliver within two or three days at the most. I have done this three times over the years, and have NO regrets.

FatboySlim71 08:55 19 Feb 2010

I would recommend this place for your desktop PC.

click here

They are very knowledgeable and helpful, and if things go wrong their customer service is absolutely faultless.

The above reason's were why I chose them but also, the PC's they sell are very customizable, you can pick the case style, amount of CD/DVD drives, amount of memory, type of power supply and the list goes on. But basically you are not getting a PC that is ready made and that might have things on it that you will never use, and paying for them too.

My advice would be to telephone them and tell them what your usage is, and they will be able to recommend what you will need and how much you will need to spend. It might be an idea too, if while you are on the telephone to them if you can have their website on the screen in case they are describing something and you are wanting to see for yourself what it looks like.

Hound-dog 10:20 19 Feb 2010

HI - I definately wouldn't buy a refurbished pc - desktops can be quite cheap to buy now so. I would recommend you have a look at Cube247. Excellent customer service and support. Good range of computers avaliable for any budget.

retep888 10:49 19 Feb 2010

Based on information given by you of how you'd do with the PC,actually any basic entry level computer will do the job.

However before parting with your hard earned cash,
a simple maintenance on you old PC and adding more RAM will suffice.

If you're not that computer savvy then ask a freind to do it for you in return of a couple of pints.

Green Eyes 12:29 20 Feb 2010

Thanks for the advice folks. I think I will avoid refurbished and will give Cougar Extreme and Cube247 a look.

FatboySlim71 20:24 21 Feb 2010

Just my personally experience, but I had real problems with a Cube247 PC, but loads of others will have had no problems. I found that the customer service failed me when I needed it from Cube, whereas with Cougar the customer service was beyond my highest expectations when I needed it.

If you search this forum for Cube 247 and also for Cougar Extreme, I know you will find less favorable posts for Cube than you would for Cougar Extreme.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?