Advice on buying a graphic card.

nerawan 13:54 24 Nov 2010

Hi. I have a Dell desktop 760 with Wind XP and 3.2 gygas of Ram memory. I just bought an LG Blu-ray drive but it doesn't want to play Blu-ray discs. It needs a more powerful independent card. Some of my questions are:
1).The onboard card is Intel so necessarily the new card has to be Intel?.I was looking at the web but it looks more cards are Envidia, Ati or Assus .
2).I have read contradictory opinions about the slots. Some say PCI is better and other AGP.What is true?.
I need a card what about 512 mb of independent memory. I don't play games just movies.
Thanks for any advice.

GaT7 17:15 24 Nov 2010

1. Graphics cards (or more accurately GPUs - graphics processing units) are basically made by only two manufacturers: ATI & nVidia. All the other brands you see are resellers who put they own unique branding, fans, etc on them.

2. You need a PCI Express (PCI-E) GPU as that's the best & cheapest. PCI is the actually the worst, & to use AGP you need an AGP slot which your motherboard will not have.

3. An ATI HD 5450 click here should be good enough. Not only do most of them have 3 types of output (VGA, DVI & HDMI), but they are also passively-cooled (fanless) so don't emit any noise. To use its digital connections (DVI/HDMI) to view Blu-Rays, I think your monitor needs to be HDCP compliant. If not, you can only use its analogue (VGA) connection.

G

nerawan 20:21 24 Nov 2010

Still is not very clear to me. Can I use any of these cards (Nvidia, ati,etc) even the one in the motherboard is Intel. Also I'm worried about the size of the card. This PC (dell.Optiplex 760 series) is a little small than many PCs (medium size compared to the large size) so how to get the right size. Possibly I will have to take it to the shop but I'd like to buy it from Amazon .

nerawan 20:21 24 Nov 2010

Still is not very clear to me. Can I use any of these cards (Nvidia, ati,etc) even the one in the motherboard is Intel. Also I'm worried about the size of the card. This PC (dell.Optiplex 760 series) is a little small than many PCs (medium size compared to the large size) so how to get the right size. Possibly I will have to take it to the shop but I'd like to buy it from Amazon .

Terry Brown 20:31 24 Nov 2010

have a look at this page from Google for more information.
Terry

click here=

GaT7 20:51 24 Nov 2010

Very good point about the size - I usually always ask about this.

Which Optiplex 760 model does yours resemble in this brochure click here: Mini tower / Desktop / Small form factor (SFF) / USFF?

Yes, any card (ATI or nVidia-based) will do in any AMD/Intel system, as long as it:
1. Will physically fit in the case
2. Is the correct interface (PCI-E/PCI/AGP) to match the motherboard
3. Is powerful enough to handle Blu-Ray videos
4. Will run off the installed power supply (PSU)

Get back about the exact model & I'll suggest a few cards from Amazon.

Terry Brown, Googling with your selection of search words will only provide generic info for nerawan's very specific needs. G

nerawan 21:41 24 Nov 2010

Hi crossbow.
The pc is like the one in that page (totally square).The slot is about 6 cms long. I have another older dell pc and it's about 5 cms longer in one side and the slot is longer too.

GaT7 21:48 24 Nov 2010

Looks like a Mini Tower then, but let's confirm it.

Look next to Chassis in the table on the 2nd page - which one fits the dimensions mentioned there: Mini tower / Desktop / Small form factor (SFF) / USFF? G

nerawan 22:23 24 Nov 2010

It's between Desktop and Small form (possibly the second one). I don't have anything to measure it.

GaT7 23:19 24 Nov 2010

Which one is it from this pic click here? G

nerawan 17:47 25 Nov 2010

Hi Crossbow. It.s small factor (34 x 31 cm,).and the external slot is about 8 cm.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?