advice on back up and graphics

beb 16:27 06 Jan 2011

recently got a acer x3400 click here

as is the norm these days no discs so i need to make back ups , nothing important will be on hard drive but wanted to back up windows 7 to disc , but there dosent seem to be an option for this any help appriciated , also would like a advice on a graphics card there is a x16 slot , but it will have to be a half size/low profile card and also only has a 220w power supply , thanks beb

rawprawn 17:07 06 Jan 2011

Your best bet would be a full backup using Acronis True Image click here

GaT7 17:36 06 Jan 2011

Why do you think you need to upgrade the graphics?

You'll need to go for a half-height/low-profile graphics card mainly because it is a half-height/low-profile case. Not sure there are too many LP x16 GPUs available that are both better than the integrated GPU & will work with a 220W PSU, but we can have a look into it. G

beb 14:39 07 Jan 2011

thanks for the input , ive ordered your suggestion rawprawn , but to me seems unfair that people should fork out more money for something that should be supplied .

Crossbow7 , i like to play a few games , nothing heavy but also online gaming , call of duty , world of war craft , guild wars , they play ok but would like to up the settings a bit and inprove the frames per second , gets very laggy on call of duty .

GaT7 14:53 07 Jan 2011

I'm surprised CoD plays at all!

Anyway, as I said before finding a suitable low-profile one that will run off a 220W PSU may prove difficult - 300-350W would have been a lot better (especially if it was a Dell). G

GaT7 15:04 07 Jan 2011

This related discussion on another forum click here suggests that a ATI HD 5550 may be OK - only just.

However, ATI says 400W at least for this particular GPU click here, which is really not true if you ask me - I'm sure it will run with a good 300W one.

But, possibly more importantly, the original poster of that thread (Richymisiak) didn't get back as to what he tried & if it worked or not. So why don't you join that forum & ask what he went for & what worked. You may not get a reply, but it's worth a shot. G

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?