Advice on Anti Virus's / Internet Securities

Ade_1 17:19 08 Feb 2006

Hi, i am looking at buyign a new internet security suite because my currnet one norton seemed to have messed up wireless and didnt want to work with it. I currently have NIS 06. I dont particularly want to be buying something too expensive. Can anyone suggest any?

Thanks

PS - I was wonderig about F-Secure but not sure what they are like.

rawprawn 17:42 08 Feb 2006

I have found F Seure brilliant, try the 30 day free trial. If you are a barclays online customer you can get a 30% discount

Mytob 17:59 08 Feb 2006

antivirus - kaspersky pro or others are suggesting nod32. i can only speek for kaspersky as that is waht i use and well its the best iv ever found with definition updates ever hour or so.

firewall - sygate pro is aparantly a good one but i myself have had problems with the free version just not leting any traffic out atall. if it is constantly shreeking at you its a good firewall as all firewalls need to be trained.

Gaz 25 18:18 08 Feb 2006

click here

Tiny firewall is good, as so is Agnitum Pro

Antivirus: NOD32

ade.h 18:27 08 Feb 2006

The three best firewalls are, in order: Outpost, Kerio and Agnitum Pro. Outpost is simply awsome.

The two best AVs are NOD32 and Kaspersky, which have similar characteristics and qualities.

No doubt someone will be along in a minute with the old "you don't need to pay, blah blah. AVG is great, blah blah".

Ade_1 18:32 08 Feb 2006

ok, ill take all of this into consideration. Thanks alot

freaky 18:41 08 Feb 2006

I can vouch for Kerio, had it on 30 days trial - then paid $15 = £9 for the full version with 1 year's free support.

Bogbrain 18:43 08 Feb 2006

Depends how paranoid you want to be or depends how paranoid you want to feel. If you are a pc homeuser which I suspect you are, any of the free download anti-virus and firewall downloads are perfectly adequate. Many research results have proved that free security software is every bit as good, if not better than some of these 50 quid packages that all you get for your money is a support and help line, plus of course any definition updates automatically. With free software you have to remember to get any updates yourself plus there is limited back up support.
One other thing I would suggest is that you ger an anti keylogger programme download as this will protect you from any online transactions that may make for goods or sevices from 'snoopers' trying to access either your passwords or personal data such as credit card details etc snd thereby becoming 'you'
Downlaod 'HiJack' this too which will monitor any 'alien' activity that might be going on.

Ade_1 18:46 08 Feb 2006

Where can i get an anti keylogger from? any ideas?

Ade_1 18:47 08 Feb 2006

is there a site fro HiJack, where abouts can i get it from?

ade.h 18:54 08 Feb 2006

I think Bogbrain is referring to anti-malware apps. I can't suggest a definitive top three here, because there are so many (some of which are actually very dodgy and should be avoided like the plague).

But the three that I have found most effective, based on the recommendations of those whom I trust, are:

A-squared Free, Ewido, and MS Antispyware Beta. Which seems perpetually to be referred to by MS as a beta, even though MS took it over about a year ago.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone