Advice - All in One Computer

wrg 14:51 03 Feb 2011

Afternoon,

I am thinking of changing to an AIO computer. Budget of up to about £750-800. My 4 children use it mainly playing games of which some are played over the internet. Homework is also done on it. My wife uses it for e-mails and uses word quite a lot. Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks
Wrg

bremner 14:57 03 Feb 2011

So long as your children are not playing the latest high graphic games such as Call of Duty 4 then an AIO at your price range will be fine.

My son has an HP Touchsmart AOI which is very good and I have an iMac which is brilliant.

wrg 15:00 03 Feb 2011

No they are not playing the latest high end graphic games. Alway fancied iMac as heard very good things about them but they are out of my price range. Mind you I am surprised I have a price range given that I have 4 kids and a plethora of pets to look after.

bremner 15:06 03 Feb 2011

PC World have currently got this one on offer click here it is £883 on Amazon

wrg 14:51 07 Feb 2011

bremner

Many thanks for that, bit the bullet and purhcased one. Kids love it. It got me thinking, do you know if you can get one that you can plug a skybox into. We have a spare one and want a TV for our bedroom so wondered if it is possible to have a computer that also acts as a freeview tv?

GaT7 15:20 07 Feb 2011

wrg, you want to plug a Skybox into your present HP TouchSmart 300-1220uk all-in-one PC?

If YES, you'll also need an analogue USB TV tuner by the looks of it (from click here). But I've heard that this can degrade quality.

If you want to bypass the PC (i.e. directly plug Skybox into the monitor), then the monitor will need to have a VGA (analogue) connector & you'll need a converter like click here (from click here).

If you want to record too, you'll need an external capture card instead of the TV tuner card I think (from click here).

If NO (i.e. you'll be buying another HP TouchSmart 300-1220uk for the bedroom), then a TV to which you can directly connect your Skybox to will be much cheaper & easier. Plus you'll get a much bigger screen for the money, or save a lot of money by buying a smaller TV. G

bremner 15:28 07 Feb 2011

If you bought the HP 300-1220uk then look at page 18 of the user manual. It shows how you can connect a set top box to it. My Sky + box has s-video out, check your one.

wrg 15:30 07 Feb 2011

Ok will do so.

bremner 15:30 07 Feb 2011

Must refresh before posting.

wrg 15:31 07 Feb 2011

who, you or me?

bremner 15:36 07 Feb 2011

When I posted you had not replied, so now my 15:30 looks out of place as it refered to crossbows7's post

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?