ADVENT MONZA T200 ASKING FOR PASSWORD (BIOS?)

onthelimit1 20:33 26 Sep 2017

An elderly neighbour gave me her laptop to look at. Originally W8, had been upgraded to W10. Had been working OK, but various problems a week or so ago. Tried allsorts with no success so decided on a reinstall from a USB ISO image. Said it could not find a partition. Shut down and on startup after the advent screen got a blue box asking for password. I assume this is the BIOS password which owner has no idea about. Took the base off and removed the button battery, but no joy.

Any thoughts please?

onthelimit1 08:45 28 Sep 2017

Nothing?

alanrwood 09:54 28 Sep 2017

Maybe the PW is listed in the instruction book. Try downloading it.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:17 28 Sep 2017

Laptop BIOS passwords are secured in a chip on the motherboard to prevent erasure by removing CMOS battery. Other than changing the chip then nothing you can do However not sure how its got switched on on its own.

What type of BIOS is it Award / Pheonix? there are some backdoor password you could try if you know the BIOS make.

onthelimit1 13:44 28 Sep 2017

Nothing in the manual. Thanks FB - that's what I was afraid of. I have no idea what triggered it before - never seen it before. I've been unable to determine the BIOS make - nothing in the specs, and can't spot the chip on the mobo.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:50 28 Sep 2017

BIOS Passwords

click here

href

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:55 28 Sep 2017

Ok so this site formatting failed to post all the links so here's another

click here

also try this and here and here

onthelimit1 18:25 28 Sep 2017

Thanks FB. I'll work through those tomorrow.

onthelimit1 20:30 03 Oct 2017

Finally gave up and bought a mobo off ebay for £20. Windows loaded from a USB ISO and even activated without any problems, so job done!

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?