Advent Laptop keyboard replacement

chrisbenwalker 09:13 08 Jul 2008

I have an Advent 7102 bought from PC World which has a faulty keyboard afetr a can of coke was spilt down it.
There wasn't much spilt, but enough to stop the function key, ctrl and windows key next to the space bar working.
I have found a replacement on Ebay for about £25 all in, but I don't want to attempt a swap over if the job is too difficult.
Is this something a novice could do, or is it a tricky job that I chould not attempt?

rawprawn 09:35 08 Jul 2008

click here
Scroll down to memoru upgrades. It tells you how to remove the keyboard.
I hope this helps, although I have always felt laptops are best left to professionals, but it does sound relatively easy.

chrisbenwalker 19:09 08 Jul 2008

Thanks for the reply Rawprawn. I have had a look at the instructions and was simple enough to lift out the keyboard from the laptop.
Below this though is a ribbon that goes under a metal plate. After unscrewing this, it looks like a connection that is possibly soldered to some kind of circuit board. I don't know too much about laptops, although does this sound like the usual?
I emailed the Ebay seller I want to buy the keyboard from, and he said it was simple to remove, but mentioned nothing about the possibility of soldering etc....
I am awaiting a reply from him, although I (maybe hastily) made an offer to him for the keyboard, before I discovered this ribbon issue, which he is yet to accept or decline...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Intel Coffee Lake release date and specifications

12 Amazing British Craft Beer Label Designs

watchOS 4 review

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017