advent laptop disaster

kimisam 17:25 05 Jul 2009

Hi,
I have brought a Advent 7095 Laptop from PC World about three years ago for my daughter while she is at university.

However, she had picked up some kind of a virus and EVERYTHING on the harddrive has been wiped including the Windows XP os.

The laptop did not come with any back up disc of any kind but she did manage to get a copy of windows xp os install from a friend which is not ideal and, nothing seems to work accordingly.

can anyone help me with a way that I can get a proper version of windows xp that was come with it pre-installed please, as I believed that I paid for the licence to use with this laptop.

many thanks

lotvic 17:50 05 Jul 2009

The Product Key (licence) on laptops is usually on a sticker underneath the battery (take it out and have a look) take careful note of whether it is XP home or Pro and if SP1, SP2 etc incase you have to do a reinstall from the cd you have borrowed. It will also have to be OEM version if that is what was on (to match the product key)

Advent 7095 click here={c81ad007-57bf-483b-a2e4-81585c14b407}&CatID={d3adad55-e878-44c4-a2e1-b8d0d6917d6e}

Windows does not start and I haven't created my recovery media
click here={07ea30e9-2814-42ee-926d-c3a24ca51030}&CatID={875e861e-c60b-43e8-86a0-6a518c84dade} To start the recovery, press the F10 key when you first turn on your computer. You might find it easier to tap F10 repeatedly until you see “Starting System Recovery”.

DieSse 17:51 05 Jul 2009

"can anyone help me with a way that I can get a proper version of windows xp"

You would have to buy one - BUT a version from another systemshould work OK as long as you use the Activation key from the bottom of this laptop.

You will also (as with any general copy of the OS) have to install all the drivers for that particular laptop - which you should be able to download from the Advent support site.

click here

lotvic 17:53 05 Jul 2009

sorry the links didn't translate here they are 'tiny' now they work ok.

First link to index click here
Second link to Recovery click here

kimisam 17:54 05 Jul 2009

Hi lotvic, Hi DieSse,

many thanks for your reply, I am going to try now and will let you know the outcome.

thanks again.

kimisam 21:29 05 Jul 2009

Hi guys,

thanks for the links, unfortunately she has installed a different windows os (XP Professional) on her laptop and there is no downloads available for her laptop.

It was XP Home came pre-installed on the laptop, is there a way I can re-install with a copy of the xp home os and start again?

thanks

DieSse 21:50 05 Jul 2009

Yes - borrow a copy of XP Home.

You've almost certainly now got an unauthorised version of XP Pro on the computer, which will give you grief at some point.

kimisam 21:53 05 Jul 2009

Hi DieSse,

thanks for your reply. I can borrow a copy of xp home, but will it work with my licence though.

also, do I have to find and download all the drivers somewhere?

many thanks

kimisam 22:05 05 Jul 2009

Hi DieSse,

furthermore, what do I do with the borrow copy of xp home? can I just load it on the advent laptop?

many thanks

DieSse 22:36 05 Jul 2009

"I can borrow a copy of xp home, but will it work with my licence though."

Probably (it's difficult to be absolutely certain due to some differences in some versions).

You may have to call Microsoft to complete the activation if it doesn't work automatically. The fist call is automated - if that doesn't work too you might then have to actually speak to someone.

You will definitely also need the drivers to set it up for the particular hardware in your system (link above).

Did you try the recovery procedures as suggested above? That would save you a lot of effort if it worked, as drivers will be included if you recover from a hidden partition on the hard drive.

To install XP Home, you will need to reformat the main partition - XP Home cannot be installed over XP Pro.

After installation, you'll also have to install all the applications you need, and all the Windows updates, plus Anti-Virus and other security software.

All this shows how vital it is to make backups of your system not just your data. When you get set up again the first thing to do is to make such a backup, at best to an external hard drive - failing that to DVDs. If you keep such a backup up to date, recovering from a disaster like this is just a doddle.

Keep asking for advice as you progress - it's often better that way than all in a big splodge right now.

DieSse 22:38 05 Jul 2009

Recovery procedure - post from lotvic at 17:50

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?