Advent 7201 won't recognize new ram

tosh967 21:39 03 Jun 2009

Hi i bought a Advent 7201 laptop back in 2007 and thought i would give it a bit of a boost, so i orded 1gb of ram from MrMemory,the Ram stick arrived followed all the instructions that where sent with the ram ! the laptop did'nt recognize it. so i tryed the new ram in both slots on its own and it works fine, put both sticks in together and only one of them works. spoke to MrMemory and they said that they would replace it with a new stick.new stick arrived but still the same problem. MrMemory said i need to update the bios but could not tell me were or from whom i could update from? i have tryed to find an update for some days now but have failed,if anyone has looked into advent its seems to me that they build from a mish mash of parts put together for the curry/pcworld group. question is do i need to change the bios????
Laptop Specks
Advent 7201 , Windows Vista,Mother Board: DIXONSXP DIXONSXP 02,BIOS: Phoenix Technologies LTD D3B11,1.87 gigahertz Intel Celeron M 440, Ram so-dimm ddr2 667
if any one could help i would be greatfull.

Ex plorer 23:39 03 Jun 2009

Hi may not be the Advent at fault and they arnt such a bad PC.
I have a new Samsung with 2 Gig ordered 1 gig to bring it up to 3Gig and I have the same trouble as you.
Runs on its own but not with both at a time.
Gonna go for a 3 Gig on its own.

Ex plorer 23:48 03 Jun 2009
  Ashrich 23:40 04 Jun 2009

Advent 7201 === Quanta PL5C / AL-096 (Packard Bell Easynote MZ35/36)

Have a look at the Quanta website for the bios update , and download the manual as well , just in case you are trying to put too much ram in .

Ashley

tosh967 18:32 07 Jun 2009

thanks guys for your advice but after three days banging my head on anything hard i will have to admit defeat and take it to pcworld (i dont believe im saying this), advent is one of there makes so they should be able sort it!!!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

HP’s new Surface Pro rival is designed specifically for Adobe-using designers and artists

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?