Advent 7107 Laptop Problems

h755bpx 11:25 03 Nov 2006

Hi all, please take a look at my problems and let me know what you think!

This is a brand new laptop running Win XP Media Center edition with Service pack 2.

I keep losing my wireless internet connection, not sure why, any suggestions? Also, even when I am connected, I get the "Page Cannot Be Displayed!" error?

Also, does anyone know what it means on this laptop if the wireless light flashes?? The manual doesnt cover this, which is good!

Cheers

mgmcc 13:22 03 Nov 2006

I don't know how familiar you are with wireless networking, but have you actually "Connected" to the wireless network?

In other words, have you run the wireless adapter's software, scanned for "Available Wireless Networks", found and highlighted the one that matches your router's SSID (network name) and selected the option to "Connect" to it? You should be prompted to enter any WEP or WPA encryption key and, once "Connected", the wireless adapter should get its IP address by DHCP from the router and you should have network and internet access.

There is a difference between the Wireless Network Adapter and Router communicating with a good signal and "Connecting" (as in "logging in") to your Wireless network.

<<< Also, does anyone know what it means on this laptop if the wireless light flashes? >>>

It could just be an indication that data is being transferred, i.e. there is activity.

There are many reasons for dropped connections and often interference is a problem. Make sure you don't have a mobile or cordless phone located near the router or the laptop. You could try changing the Channel number used by the router - the default is normally "11" so try something like "7" or "4".

dms05 14:33 03 Nov 2006

I think most recent laptops signify the WiFi is not connected when the light flashes. After connection the light glows steadily.

sebbywebby 15:31 03 Nov 2006

Why don't you phone PCWorld as I am gussing you brought it from them

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?