Advent 7104 screen problem

ned2 11:46 10 Oct 2009

My laptop 15" screen displays a black screen when powered on and remains black, however laptop works fine on external video. I bought a 2nd hand screen (supposedly working) and it also displays black screen. The back of both screen light up when it is connected but nothing displayed. Is this likely to be an inverter problem or video cable? THanks for any help

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:01 10 Oct 2009

HAve you tried switching between TFT and external monitor using the Fn+F? combination and waut a few seconds between operations of the keys?

Also check if there is a small switch or button operated when lid closed, these sometimes get stuck and kill the TFT screen.

ned2 13:19 10 Oct 2009

Yes, tried the Fn key, when no VGA cable is plugged in it just flashes dark black/lighter black, when a VGA cable is plugged in it displays on my PC monitor OK.

There is no switch on this laptop, there is a spring loaded lid catch but it is not wired in to anything.

The backlight on both screens seem to work, just nothing displayed. When I increase change brightness it does work just nothing is displayed though I can make out very faint lines.

ned2 13:20 10 Oct 2009

I've ordered an inverter of ebay anyway so that might fix it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?