Advent 5490

Bingalau 22:09 15 Jan 2006

I've inherited an Advent 5490 (with Windows Millennium Edition)I have no cables or bits and pieces to go with it, no disks, nothing just the plain machine. Is there a charity out there somewhere that could use this item? Or shall I just scrap it. I have no idea if it is in working condition or not.

QuickHare 22:19 15 Jan 2006

First off, I'd attempt to load it up at your place to start wiping sensitive information off it, such as stored credit card details or Word documents.

If the computer can still be used, a charity shop may be interested. Phone around a few of them and explain what you have for them. Bear in mind they may not be able to understand what the model numbers are or anything, so try not to bamboozle them too much. Ask them if they will clean the computer's hard disk too.

If no-one wants to know, but the system works, use the Belarc Advisor (on most PC Advisor cover discs or found online through Google) to note down the bits inside it, and maybe offer it on eBay. If you are technically minded, you may wish to put individual parts on eBay instead. Remember to go to the Post Office to find out what the maximum postage and packing would be.

If it is unusable or unsold, then you may wish to chat to your local Recycling Centre. They can offer advice for old computer units, and might say "bring it down here and we'll get rid of it for you".

Bingalau 10:18 16 Jan 2006

Thanks for reply, I think I will just take it to a local computer shop, where maybe they will be able to use it for something or other. Even if it's only for the spare battery etc.
Thanks again........Bingalau

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?